Furnace Pilot Stays On, But Main Burners Only Stay Lit For 5-10 Seconds

Old 04-18-10, 04:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace Pilot Stays On, But Main Burners Only Stay Lit For 5-10 Seconds

Hi there,

I had a replacement water heater put in a couple days back. The gas was switched off for the installation, so the pilot went off on my Carrier 58gp100-2 furnace.

I thought no biggie, I'll just light it up the next time I need to use the furnace... come today. I follow all the instructions and light the pilot. It stays lit, so I continue forward and turn on the electrical power. Then I shout out to the ball and chain to turn up the thermostat. The burners all go and there's a nice big flame. Beautiful, I'm done...

Not quite. About 7 seconds later, the burners all suddenly shut off. The pilot remained lit, but the burners are just off. Confused, I start from scratch.. turn off gas, turn on gas, light pilot, turn up thermostat... same deal. Burners turn on for 5 seconds and then shut off. Pilot remains lit.

To be safe, I've turned off the gas, and am now coming to you guys for help. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-10, 09:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you have to light your pilot with either a match or a built in striker lever?

If so...IF...then you might have a second flame sensor for the main burners. And it be likely that flame sensor has stuff on it blocking the fire from letting a small electrical signal go through it. If you have a lone thin wire entering the far right burner area, with the pilot at the left burner area, you can remove that flame sensor (often held in by 1 screw) and polish up that rod with fine steel wool, scotchbrite pad or fine sandpaper.