scorched siding near metal boiler exhaust

Old 04-23-10, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
scorched siding near metal boiler exhaust

We have a natural gas boiler with direct vent out the sidewall of our house. The vent is stainless steel grated opening that is about 7" x 7" square. Around this square grate is an integrated stainless flange that is screwed to our painted cedar shingles.
The shingles where this flange is screwed have blistering white paint, and the wood has turned a dark brown underneath (scorched looking).
I removed the vent as I was concerned about the condition underneath. There is a pipe within a pipe for the exhaust with fiberglass insulation (which is intact) between the 2 pipes. The plywood etc seems fine.There is a 1" space all around the pipe where it goes through the plywood and shingles.
It seems that the heat is being not transferred from the pipe to the siding but from the flange, which is screwed directly to the shingles.
Is there any way to fix this (halt the transfer of heat from the flat flange to the siding)?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-10, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Direct Vent

I suggest installing spacers to extend the flange to at least a couple of inches from the siding.

Old 04-25-10, 02:22 PM
Thanks Grady. Where would I get something like that? Is there any way to post/send photos? I think they show quite well why I am concerned.

Old 04-25-10, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Photos/Spacer

Photos are best done by posting them on a photo sharing site such as photobucket.com (free) & providing a link to the album here.

What is the make & model of the boiler? The manufacturer may have some kind of spacers or extention kit for the vent assembly.

Old 04-25-10, 03:23 PM
OK. Here are the photos. The boiler is Lochinvar EBN300. The termination is a Lochinvar product and is connected to the boiler via venting that is FasNSeal made by ProTech.
Pictures by dave4242photos - Photobucket

Old 04-25-10, 03:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Scorched Siding

If you don't have the original manual, here is a link to it:
http://www.lochinvar.com/_linefiles/EB-EW-I&S.pdf

I suggest contacting Lochinvar regarding the availability of spacers for the firestop flange. Installation of such might involve adding to or replacement of the vent pipe. If you e-mail them, I'd also include a copy of the photos.

Never having dealt with Lochinvar, I don't know what kind of reaction you will get but please keep me advised of your progress.

Old 04-25-10, 07:48 PM
Thanks Grady. I'll give them a call. I have the I&O manual, but it's so vague.

Old 04-26-10, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
If you don't have the original manual, here is a link to it:
http://www.lochinvar.com/_linefiles/EB-EW-I&S.pdf

I suggest contacting Lochinvar regarding the availability of spacers for the firestop flange. Installation of such might involve adding to or replacement of the vent pipe. If you e-mail them, I'd also include a copy of the photos.

Never having dealt with Lochinvar, I don't know what kind of reaction you will get but please keep me advised of your progress.
Well I spoke with the rep from Lochinvar, and he said that the pipe within pipe setup was fine (picture without vent termination), but that the termination should indeed be spaced away from house. he did not have any ideas on how to do that though.
I'm wondering if there is anything I could purchase that would allow the termination to sit a little proud of the siding and still look good. Any ideas?

Old 04-26-10, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Spacing

You will likely have to replace the last section of pipe with one a few inches longer. Some photos from the inside might help.