RUUD Oil Furnace/AC

Old 05-03-10, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RUUD Oil Furnace/AC

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and have a problem with my heating/cooling unit.

I have a RUUD system, and every time it's on, it seems heat is working, even if the thermostat is OFF. I tried replacing the thermostat, no go, same issue. As soon as the Emergency Switch is turned on, the system starts heating up and eventually fan comes on to get rid of the extra heat.

Any thoughts what it could be or where to look next?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-10, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you look inside the inside unit to see if it is making heat or not? And/or see if an outside compressor is running(in the outside a/c unit), when you think the stat is off, yet is making heat?

Old 05-04-10, 07:57 AM
Hi ecman51. I looked inside, the unit is indeed making heat. When the thermostat is off, compressor is not running. When I turn COOL on, compressor turns on, but because the unit is making heat at the same time, air that comes out warm.

Old 05-04-10, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like you have a short between R and W low voltage (24 volt ac) wires. What that does is bypass the stat and get the furnace to run.

Did this happen completely out of the blue, with no previous work to stat or furnace?

You may want to take that new stat back off an carefully look at how the low voltage wires look as they exit the hole in the wall. Maybe too much insulation got stripped causing the R and W wire to touch. If that is not it, carefully inspect the route of the stat wiring to see if it got cut by sheetmetal and is touching it.

Old 05-07-10, 06:02 PM
You could also unhook the thermostat wires at the burner and see if the burner shuts down. If it shuts off you have a stat/wiring issue, if it doesn't you have a primary control issue.