Carrier Weathermaker SX 58 Won't Ignite

Old 05-07-10, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier Weathermaker SX 58 Won't Ignite

I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a Carrier Weathermaker SX 58 and it will not ignite. It is Natural Gas and I believe from 1982. Usually when I start it, it will kick on a motor, I will hear a clicking and it will light, then after a few minutes it will kick on. Today when I went to start it, the motor kicks on, but it does not even click to light. I have shut it off on the side several times. Any advice would be greatly apprciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-10, 12:33 PM
To me it sounds like the spark module usually located in the upper right of the compartment has failed.

Or the pressure switch is failing to close from your inducer motor running, not allowing for the next operation in the cycle (igniton) to begin.

First thing to check would be an obstruction at your vent terminations outside.

Old 05-08-10, 05:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oddly I had the same problem earlier today, on a service call. I went there with 2 ignitors in hand, thinking that is probably it. Nope. Ohms test showed good. But no volts coming out of the 120v wires feeding the ignitor. And I wasn't getting 24 volts to the igntion control module, as no blinking green indicator light came on, (as it should, once the inducer motor ramps up to speed). Purple 24v wire from pressure switch to ignition module was dead. Moved wire on pressure switch and - voila. On came the pulsating green light, and then the HSI glowed. Lose spade connection on pressure switch was cause.

Old 05-10-10, 07:52 PM
Thank you for the responses. Had the repair man out today.. it was the wires to the igniter, but that was caused by a faulty heat exchanger melting them Looks like a new furnace is needed... any suggestions on good models?