"Ticking" sound in duct work

Old 11-28-00, 11:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

This is a good one. I can hear a "ticking" sound comeing from somewhere in the ductwork of my central heating system (heat pump). The ticking sound seems to be located on one specific area of the house. I almost sound like water dripping on the metal, but I don't see any signs of dripping water or rust. The sound can be heard when the heat is not running. The ticking is fairly constant in most cases, sometimes it sounds very fast an others a longer interval between ticks. I can go down into my basement with some of the ductwork is exposed. If I push up on the area where the sound is, it goes away for a short time but eventually comes back. I don't know what this is and it is driving me nuts. Any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-00, 12:29 PM
I have ticking also most noticeable when the blower turns off. This is due to the thermal expansion and contraction of the metal. It lasts at least 20 minutes at my house. You may notice the same thing with cars as the muffler cools down. If is not this, then I have no further ideas for you.

Old 11-28-00, 01:47 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
TICK !!! TICK !!!

You said the ticking noise is not present when the heating is off.Is the blower still running?Have you tried placing the fan to the on position without the heat and listening?Do not run the heat have someone cycle the fan off and on and see if you can discern a difference in both positions.Is the noise in the duct work close to the air handler?It could be the refrigerant system equalizing out during the off cycle.OR IF YOU have young kids they may have dropped something in the return or supply duct.If so it is caught in NEVER-EVER LAND until you tear the ductwork apart.P.S.You did'nt mention if you have a humidifier.Duct insulation can hold alot of water before it starts seeping through to show a tell tale leak.PDF

Old 11-30-00, 05:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Ticking Sound cont.,,

Schiejr, thermal expansion sounds like the loggical answer to me. Does this only occur when it is cold and the heat is in use? I don't remember hearing this sound in the summer with the A/C. My next question is WHAT CAN I DO TO GET RID OF IT? It really seems to be isolated in one area of the ductwork that I can access through my basement. Thanks.

Roger

Old 11-30-00, 08:08 AM
I have never noticed it in the summer either with the AC.
As for solutions, I do not know besides using a non-metallic duct. Perhaps PDF or another in the trade have some ideas. I just tune it out myself.

Old 11-30-00, 01:18 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
flex collar

Hey guy this is PDF.A quick,inexpensive remedy might be a flex collar.If your duct work comes straight off the supply and is solid all the way to your diffusers....you can purchase a flex collar.It's just a piece of sheet metal wrapping that has a canvas or rubber coupling between it.It can be bought by the foot.This may help with expansion and contraction.A sheet metal shop in your area will have it in stock.To install you will need a pair of snips,a drill and some self tapping sheet metal screws.PLEASE wear gloves!!Sheet metal has a way of slicing and dicing the fingers and hands.PDF

Old 11-30-00, 01:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks PDF. I will give it a try. I can almost pin point the area that I think is making the noise. It is an elbow that connects the main supply to one portion that runs directly to a duct in the floor. There is a piece of metal rivoted to the elbow that has a slightly different color and appreance than the rest of the tubing. I have even thought of disconnecting a portion at a time to try and isolate it the exact area.

Thanks for not calling me a crazy. I know an ealier post said that they also have a small ticking noise that is bearable and goes away after 20 minutes. I know exactly what they are talking about. But this noise is much louder than that and makes it hard to sleep. Just think of a dripping fawcett!