Beckett hums, won't start.

Old 06-26-10, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beckett hums, won't start.

I have a Honeywell Beckett AFG R7184B. It stopped working one day. The thing is only 2 years old.

You press the reset button, and it sits there and hums for maybe 30 seconds, then goes into lock-out.

I took out the squirrel cage and put power to it thinking it is not running, but it runs with power to it, so I put it back in and tried again. Still just sits there and hums, then lock-out. I did not run out of oil.

Any ideas? I'm stumped. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-10, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Beckett

With the burner fully assembled, can you turn the burner blower wheel easily by hand? If not, the pump is probably locked up.

Old 06-27-10, 08:56 PM
Yes, the squirrel cage turns easily by hand.

I removed it, and set it aside. Then I put the power on and pushed the reset switch holding it down for a while. I was thinking it would turn. Nope.

The humming, or fast clicking really, was there, but it was not coming from the blower, rather inside the blower casing thing over where the oil line goes into the unit. It stops after several seconds to go into lock out.

If I unplug the blower from the control unit, and put power to the blower from an extention cord, the blower will work (according to a buddy who did just that the other day for me).

Would that not put the blame on the control unit for not putting power to the blower? I believe that the blower is the first thing that turns on when it starts its cycle.

I was going to put a meter to the wires, but my meter needs a fuse that I can get tomorrow. Anything else it could be?

Old 06-29-10, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Turns easily

Just so we are both clear on my previous question: The burner blower wheel turns easily with the burner FULLY ASSEMBLED?

If so, I'm starting to suspect the R7184 but before saying it is the problem, I have to ask one silly(?) question: If you have two oil lines running from the tank to the pump & have valves on both lines, are both valves open?

Note: When checking the R7184 be sure to check from orange to white & from orange to ground. If you have 120 volts from orange to ground but not from orange to white you have a bad neutral connection somewhere.

Old 06-30-10, 08:20 PM
found the problem.

There's a circuit board in an unpainted steel unit that was mounted up in the ceiling above the furnace with wires going in and out of it that got wet, probably from a leaky dishwasher or sink, which is on the next floor up.

The new piece set me back $238.

Old 07-02-10, 08:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ouch

Good find but $238 isn't exactly an inexpensive part. That's gotta hurt, especially when it's due to something like a leaky sink or dishwasher. Hope you've taken measures to prevent it from happening again.