Carrier WeatherMaker 9200 Problem...HELP!

Old 07-18-10, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier WeatherMaker 9200 Problem...HELP!

Hello everyone!
This is my first post here and I am looking for some help. I came home last night to the house being hot as heck! I leave the air on while I am gone and usually come home to a cool house...Not this time! I went downstairs to inspect my carrier weathermaker 9200 (58MXA). I noticed that the breaker had tripped in my home fuse panel. I flipped the breaker back on and the furnace kicked back on for about 2-3 seconds total and tripped the breaker again. I adjusted the thermostat to see if i could just get the blower motor to turn over on the manual fan setting without the a/c unit coming on. I flipped the breaker back on and this time it tripped the breaker in 1-2 seconds. I reset it again and now it trips the breaker almost instantaneously! Any ideas of what could be wrong that isn't even giving the unit the chance to get started?

Thanks for any help!
James

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-10, 03:36 PM
update:

I replaced the 15A Fuse at the home circuit breaker panel. This did not fix it. I took the blower motor out and disassembled it. Cleaned all of the electrical coils and shaft. Greased both ends of the motor shafts. There are no signs of foul play with the naked eye inside the motor. It turns freely and doesn't have a lot of play in the shaft. I reassembled everything and put everything back into the unit. I also check for bare wires throughout the whole unit....Nothing. Also a note:

When the safety switch for the blower compartment is disengaged it will not blow the fuse. If I put a piece of tape over the switch or install the panel so the safety switch is engaged it blows the fuse. Because of this I don't believe it is an external wiring issue.

There are no burn marks on the circuit board and the red l.e.d. service light comes on for a second before the breaker trips. Because of this I don't think there is a problem with the board.

Can I put a 20A fuse in the panel and see if that will get it farther or is that a bad Idea.

Also the 3a fuse on the board is not blown

Also there is a cut off switch mounted outside of the furnace unit that has a big silver box attached to the switch plate. The inside of this silver box says 125w max 15A max and has the black wire from the house going in one end and a black wire coming out the other end into the unit.....What is this???

Thanks for any help in advance!!!!

James

Old 07-22-10, 06:33 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
With the expensive costs for control boards and other parts, you need to get a professional in there.

DO NOT put a higher fuse...it may cost you dearly in the short run!

Old 07-23-10, 04:10 PM
Try disconnecting the blower wiring. Mark any leads that need to be removed so you know where they went (and/or take a picture with the ubiquitous camera phone for reference) then turn the power on. Sometimes the fan leads all come from a modular plug on the control board, which would make it easier for you. Be sure to make any wiring changes with the power OFF. It's also wise to check with a meter - you can never be too safe.

If it still happens, check for shorts in high voltage wiring. Disconnect one component at a time until you find the one that does it.

The door switch you describe is one of the very first places the power goes (or should be) so it stands to reason that it would behave as you described. It works just like you flipped the switch.