black sooty air filters on 3 month new furnace and AC air coil

Old 07-24-10, 05:43 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking black sooty air filters on 3 month new furnace and AC air coil

Brand new system April 2010. Very noisy first week. Had Installer come out. Air filter dirty. He forgot to change. Put new filter in. June 2010 AC froze up. Called Installer. Filter BLACK Sooty. He says.."Not saying your house is dirty but this is coming from your air. The only way it can get on filter."
Put new filter in Checked every week. 2 weeks BLACK! Have lived in same house for over 25 years. Have never seen a black filter. Paid over $6000 to have whole house interior painted white 3 years ago and everything now has a black film on it. I know it must be coming from the furance. What can we do?

Old 07-24-10, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Has the heating part of the system been running? In Summer? Is it a gas furnace? Oil?

Old 07-24-10, 02:08 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Stop burning cheap candles.

Old 08-01-10, 11:15 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
The furnace probably moves far more air than the old one - perhaps built up soot in the return ducts (from candle burning, incense, smoking?) is becoming air born.

The odds that it's coming from the furnace are extremely low.

Old 08-02-10, 05:18 PM
I agree!

About 2 weeks later after I had my system in, my media air filter control was flashing "Replace Filter", and I thought why soo soon!? I go down and pull the filter out and it was clogged up with dust balls, and lot of other junk that were in the duct work.

Old 08-25-10, 05:48 PM
R
Our Problem

We had a soot problem when we put our new furnace in. My wife is a candle maniac. She quit burning them, and got 3 electric candle warmers. They last longer, and soot problem solved. Modern furnaces put out more volume than old ones. We also eventually had sears come out on a special and clean duct. BIG difference, and it smelled good for the entire heating season.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: