Is the Vent Pipe Blocked Up ???

Old 07-30-10, 08:46 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Is the Vent Pipe Blocked Up ???

I have a gas furnance and gas water heater located in the basement of my home. The vent pipes for both are joined together and are routes into a brick chimney. However, I do not have a fireplace.

Lately, after opening the basement door to go down the stairs, I've noticed a lot of HOT air at the top of the steps. The air is unusually HOT compared to the outside temperature.

I've also noticed (when the gas water heater is running), there is HOT air flowing from UNDER the vent cap on top of the water heater. There is also HOT air flowing out of the front of the furnance.

I'm real concerned that the vent pipe (within the chimney) is plugged up.

Is there a way to verify this before I call out a Contractor ?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-10, 01:52 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
First, get a C O detector and put it in the basement. Your situation does not sound safe.

You could also probably have your gas utility company check it , or even the fire department.

Is there a way to remove the pipes at the chimney or a clean out port? You need to see in to see what is there. A dead bird or nest could have fallen and blocked the pipes.

Old 07-30-10, 04:37 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
First, get a C O detector and put it in the basement. Your situation does not sound safe.

You could also probably have your gas utility company check it , or even the fire department.

Is there a way to remove the pipes at the chimney or a clean out port? You need to see in to see what is there. A dead bird or nest could have fallen and blocked the pipes.
I actually do have a CO detector mounted near the basement stairway. It's yet to sound an Alarm.

The pipes are pretty well secured to the brick chimney... I'll have to see if I can separate them.

I really need to get someone to get on the roof and check the pipe up there.

Who should I call ??? A roofer, HVAC tech ??

Old 07-30-10, 07:01 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you are in a large enough area to have chimney sweeps, that would be one thought. A furnace tech could check the venting into the chimney but probably would not go on the roof. With the pipe to chimney joint opened up, a flashlight and mirror would probably pinpoint the problem. It may take several trades to complete the job. There are also full time handy man firms who may be able to help.