How/where to clean (replace?) Trane XB80 filter

Old 08-29-10, 12:15 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How/where to clean (replace?) Trane XB80 filter

The User's Information Manual for my "Gas Furnaces -- Non-Condensing Fan Assisted Combustion System Upflow/Horizontal and Downflow / Horizontal" is pretty straight forward, and even comes with pictures of how to maintain my filter. For example:

"The Upflow/Horizontal furnace, when installed horizontally, requires a horizontal filter kit. The filters may be located remote to the furnace or in the return air duct near the furnace. Check with your dealer for the location of your filters."

The picture in the manual looks like mine, but the problem is I don't really know who my dealer is, if he even exists. When I go into the attic, I see two Trane XB80's (see attached picture, there's two of them, pretty much identical just on the right and left side of the attic).

I don't really see anything that looks like a door that's meant to be removed, except for the handle beneath the "Trane XB80" sticker. Of course there's no filter behind that, just wires and some plugs.

There are panels secured with screws on the top (I've outlined them in red in the picture) and also cemented with black stuff where the boxes intersect.

Before I go start popping these panels off looking for filters and possibly (probably) damaging something while I'm at it, I was hoping to get an expert opinion. Or, are the filters even located here? It looks like it in the users manual, but like I said I don't see anything that looks like a nice little access door.

Old 08-29-10, 05:46 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I can see where the conditioned air exits the furnace, but not where the return air enters. There should be a box attached to the right (normally lower) side and the return air ducting should be attached to that. The filter(s) should be in that box.

Old 08-30-10, 06:06 AM
Take a photo further to the right (return side).

Most home that has the unit in the attic, the air filter is in the return grill. (See below)

Drop the grill if you have that, and the air filter is in there. If you do have a filter, then a good chance there is no filter at the unit in the attic.

Old 08-30-10, 07:13 PM
F
Ahhh, ok. I went and double checked on the right hand side, and it's just a closed off box and big tubes that go into the insulation.

Sooo, I do have those returns in the ceiling (and I feel kind of dumb now...two in the upstairs living room, 25x20x1 and one in the master 12x12x1)...I was just afraid I was missing those "big" filters (5" thick ones) like the ones I was supposed to change in the duplex I used to live in (they had the 1" filter to change every 1-3 months and a 5" filter to change every 6 months to a year)

But looks like all I have to worry about is changing those filters in the ceiling. Whew! I was sure I would go up there a year from now and find out I was supposed to change some filter up there I didn't know existed and is growing cheese on it or something.

Thanks guys! Beer 4U2

Old 08-30-10, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by frankynunez
I was just afraid I was missing those "big" filters (5" thick ones) like the ones I was supposed to change in the duplex I used to live in (they had the 1" filter to change every 1-3 months and a 5" filter to change every 6 months to a year)
Not a good ideal to have that many filter. If the media filter is used, the 1" should of been taken out. otherwise, the air flow is cut down.

Old 06-19-11, 05:06 PM
S
Can you all help me now please? I have the same unit in my attic and it's set up almost exactly like this one here. Like Frankynunez I don't have a box to the right. Only wrapped and sealed stuff stuff that you can't open. My problem is that I also don't have a grill where the filter should go as I have checked all return air vents etc... The person who owned the house before me left 3 extra filters in the attic which leads me to believe the place I replace the filter is in the attic but I can't find it. I have removed the first panel with the handle like in that picture and looked all around it. I am lost. Any other tips or advice?

Old 06-19-11, 05:13 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
after removing the first panel then remove the other one without louvers and that is the blower compartment.... filter should be in there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: