flow through humidifiers

Old 12-10-00, 11:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Good day all.

My 35 yr old oil furnace is being replaced and I am looking to replace the equally old(?) reservoir / drum humidifier with a flow through model. I have never been keen on the idea of a standing tray of water in my heating / ventilation system, so I was pleased to learn that I could install a flow through model.... The problem is that I do not have a floor drain close to my furnace - it is about 30 feet away and in the middle of the laundry room. I can't see running a tube to the center of the room...

How much water could actually be discharged during use?
What other options are available (short of jackhammering out my concrete floor and installing a drain)?
Am I destined to monthly cleanings of another reservoir / drum model ?

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-00, 12:12 PM
Visiting Guest
humidifiers

I have a sears flow through model that I installed 5 years ago and am very happy with it. I change the filter once a year. The April air models are the same thing. One thing, mount it on the cold air side if poss to prevent leakage onto the heat exchanger if a clog occurs. As far as the drain is concerned, it has a steady constant drip. You may be able to use an ac sump pump to pump it to a remote location or outside, although icing may be a problem if you pump it outside. If you live in a climate the might benefit from central ac you could kill 2 birds with the pump. You will not regret for 1 min having both!

Old 12-10-00, 01:53 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
have a condinsate pump installed with the humidifier. Then you'll be able to pump the bypass water to the laundry room. The condinsate pump discharge tubing is only 3/8 i.d. and can be routed over head.

Old 12-13-00, 04:08 PM
Visiting Guest
much thanks for the suggestions ! i am going to check into the condensate pump.

pumping outside is out of the question (-25 degrees celsius today) and although an air conditioner would be nice, i just can't justify it... but both suggestions are still better than busting up concrete !

Old 12-13-00, 04:17 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Don't pump outside, pump to your washer drain pipe. Be careful to only instert pump tubing no more than 6" into washer drain. Otherwise you will clogged it with washer lint.