Removing a furnace fan in a Carrier 58PAV furnace

Old 09-08-10, 06:38 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing a furnace fan in a Carrier 58PAV furnace

I believe something fell into my furnace blower and it is rubbing. I need to remove the blower, but the chimney flue for the furnace needs to be removed first.

The flue is attached to the induction fan duct assembly with white adhesive. Do I need to remove the entire induction blower assembly, or can the flue be detached from the ducting and resealed again?

(It's actually a 58RAV horizontal furnace).

Last edited by steve-1; 09-08-10 at 07:03 PM. Reason: correct model number.
Old 09-08-10, 07:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Adhesive

The white adhesive is likely just silicone sealant. If that's the case, simply cut it & remove the pipe.

Old 09-08-10, 08:36 PM
S
Are you sure? This is sealing the exhaust flue for the furnace. Silicone would burn away wouldn't it?

It looks like it was sealed at the factory, but without pulling the entire furnace apart I see no other option. I just need to be sure that I get it back together properly and don't create a hazard.
Thanks.

Old 09-09-10, 07:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sealant

I was thinking that furnace was vented with plastic pipe but after some research I find it is an 80% efficient model & vented with metal pipe. You should be able to take the vent pipe apart.

Some pictures would be most helpful. The easiest way to post pics here is to post them on photobucket or other photo sharing site & provide us with a link.

Old 09-10-10, 03:29 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Maybe it is refractory cement or asbestos they used? There are high temp caulks also that protect up to 500 degrees and higher, but I haven't heard of white. Black, orange, and red are common ones. You can find it in fireplace sections of stores and auto part stores.

Old 09-11-10, 04:28 PM
S
Thanks for your help guys. I eventually found a factory service manual online and it said to remove the flue. For the record, here is what it said about the sealant....

A releasing agent such as PAM cooking spray or equivalent
(must not contain corn or canola oil, aromatic or halogenated
hydrocarbons or inadequate seal may occur) and RTV sealant
(G.E. 162, 6702, or Dow-Corning 738) are needed before starting
installation. DO NOT substitute any other type of RTV sealant.

Kind of crazy, but to remove the blower from this particular horizontal flow furnace is a major job
I have not done it yet.

Old 09-11-10, 05:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't understand

Since the blower is on the opposite end from the flue, why would you have to remove the flue pipe in order to get to the blower. Some jackaxe installer pipe the flue past the blower door?

Old 09-11-10, 06:55 PM
S
Carrier, by design. It's horrible. It's going to take me quite a while to do a job that should take me 20 minutes.

I have the 58RAV, the 58PAV is not like that. If you google the model you will see the Manuals show up which have the diagrams. Unfortunately I have two of these and they are both 15years old.

Old 08-27-13, 09:15 PM
T
Carrier 58rav vent pipe an irremovable barrier to sliding out blower housing

Same issue with vent pipe in 58rav. How is the end connected to other component. Can't get it off. Necessary to remove in order to slide out blower housing. It almost appears as if vent pipe is slotted with perpendicular flanges and has to be slid out like blower assembly itself. Inconclusive. White adhesive may be problem. It's like daisy chain. Tried unscrewing every component but nothing budges. May have to hack saw vent pipe. Please help. Thanks

Old 08-27-13, 09:29 PM
S
It has been too long since I repaired my furnace to recall all the details, but I know that I cut the sealant and had to work it a bit to remove the flue from the induction blower. There weren't a whole lot of screws to remove to get the flue out. At the time I found a PDF from carrier online by searching the first few digits of the model number. I ended up resealing it with one of the high temp rtv sealants listed by the mfr. I had to buy that online. It did take a while, but my blower impeller had simply slipped down the shaft and had to be reset and tightened. It still works fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: