Goodman GMNP060-3 Continuous Blinking

Old 09-18-10, 07:16 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman GMNP060-3 Continuous Blinking

Hello,

I have a GMNP060-3 furnace. When it is supposed to turn on and provide heat, it gets as far as the burners firing up but they only stay lit for about 5 seconds and then shut off. It cycles thru this process 3 times before the diagnostic light on the ignition control board begins continuous blinking. I don't know if it would be considered 'rapid' blinking, approximately 1.5 seconds between blinks. The diagnostics chart shows that rapid continuous blinking means incorrect twining / incorrect primary polarity. The furnace itself is 14 years old. Is it safe to assume I need to replace the ignition control board?

Thank you in advance.

Old 09-18-10, 10:03 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
First step is to locate the flame sensor. It is a thin metal rod in front of the far-est burner from the ignitor. It will have an electric wire running from the bottom. Usually held in place by one or two screws. Remove it and gently wipe it lengthwise with fine steel wool or emery paper. You want to clean it - not sand it down. Replace and try the furnace again.

Old 09-18-10, 10:53 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That appeared to work. There was some slight discoloration on the flame sensor that was almost white or grey in color. Cleaned it off with the steel wool and it fired back up on the first try. I found new flame sensors for $10 and will probably order a new one up as a replacement.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Old 09-18-10, 03:42 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Save yourself the money. A new one likely is not necessary. It is routine maintenance to remove the oxidation from that rod, periodically.

It is a shame, really, that I'm sure so many people never learn that when a furnace goes out in the manner you describe, that everyone isn't made aware of this cause, and the ease as to how they can fix it themselves, if they are at ALL the slightest handy - to save a furnace service call.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: