Bryant Plus 80 will not shut off

Old 09-19-10, 11:54 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Bryant Plus 80 will not shut off

Up until today the furnace has worked fine. I have to admit I was neglectful in changing the filters and they were very dirty. Here is the issue. The furnace lights fine and stays lit. It does not time out at all. In fact it does not shut off at the temp set on the thermostat. I had it set for 68 and it was still burning away at 78. I changed the air filters and tried to vacume it out as best as I could. I removed the thermostat totally and it still burns away. The only way to turn it off is the blower panel switch when i remove the housing or the breaker.

There is a code of 1short and 2 long on the LED light which appears to be fairly normal.

Can anybody please help me out? Is this something I can fix or should I call in a pro?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!
Dan

Old 09-19-10, 02:55 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Eirther the red and white thermostat wires are touching each other, copper to copper (or a nail or sheetmetal between the two copper wires) somewhere below the thermostat, keeping that circuit unwantingly in operation, or, you have a relay(inside the furnace) that is stuck.

Relays use low volt 24 volts AC to open up not only some other 24 volt circuit, but also they can open a 120 volt circuit, like a contactor. it is going to likely be one of those 2 issues.

You can rule out my first thing by disconnecting the white wire at the furnace's low-volt terminal block, where the thermostat wires all hook up, and says letters like, R,G,Y,O,W,C. Or something like that. Remove the wire on the W terminal. If it still keeps running, then it is not due to a thermostat wiring short, it be from a stuck relay more than likely. If it does shut off, then it be from a short in the thermostat wires, or a coincidence that it happened to shut off then.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: