One zone not working properly

Old 10-05-10, 10:18 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One zone not working properly

Have a oil fired furnance with 2 zones controlled by taco 571-2 zone valves. When I call for heat from one zone (upstairs) the burner will come on and the circulator pump seems to run properly. When I call for heat in the other zone nothing comes on but the zone valve DOES open because the pipe will turn hot on the other side leading to the baseboards. That would seem to suggest that the thermostat is working properly. The only thing I could think of would be the Honeywell Aquastat relay might be bad? Could it be working properly for just one zone?

Old 10-05-10, 04:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
The burner may not fire right away. The burner is controled by the temperature in the boiler. If after having the thermostat up for 10-15 minutes. There might be a problem with the aquastat but that seems unlikely since the burner fires with the upstairs thermostat.

Check all of your baseboard to make sure it is getting hot. You could have an air lock or the circulator may not be coming on when the first floor calls for heat.

The most likely problem is a bad end switch in the zone valve. Taco zone valve power heads are readily available & easy to replace.

Old 10-06-10, 05:43 AM
J
Red face Thanks for response

And advice. My guess is that you are probably right. I know I don't have an airlock in the problem zone as I can get heat when the other zone calls for heat AND I have had the thermostat on the problem zone calling for heat as well. The "good" zone gets the furnance and circulator (I only have one) started and the problem zone Taco valve is open so hot water flows no problem. It's just that the problem zone will not start the circulator/furnance as the valve does open. I guess I will just wait for the new Taco that I ordered to come in. Or, would it be logical to just switch the Taco zone power heads and see if the problem zones reverse? Thanks again for your response.

Jim

Old 10-07-10, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Power Head

Personally, I'd swap the two power heads. If the problem follows the head, bingo, you know you have a bad power head.
If the problem remains the same (doubtful) you know the head is good & the source of your trouble is elsewhere (probably wiring).

Old 10-11-10, 06:06 AM
J
Smile Thanks Grady

Followed your advice. It showed that zone valve was bad. Got a new one in the mail and all is well.

Jim

Old 10-12-10, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thumbs up Good Job

Way to go. Glad you got it fixed.
I tend to spend a bit more time troubleshooting than many but before I replace a part, I want to be sure that part is actually the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: