Carrier Model 394GAD024075 Furnace - Pilot won't stay lit

Old 10-06-10, 03:06 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carrier Model 394GAD024075 Furnace - Pilot won't stay lit

Hello,

Am hoping someone can help figure out what's wrong with my furnace. I replaced the thermocouple this afternoon on this furnace because I had read somewhere that is the primary cause of the pilot not staying lit on a furnace but it still isn't staying lit Any suggestions on what to try next?
Like several other folks these days, I'm way beyond broke and certainly can't afford to call a repairman to fix a furnace in a house we're being forced out of.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

Old 10-06-10, 08:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The most common reason a thermocouple system drops out is a dirty pilot burner and pilot orifice that needs to be taken apart and cleaned.

Is the pilot flame has yellow tips, this suggests this problem and it needs to be cleaned in any case.

Is the pilot flame engulfing the end of the thermocouple to keep it hot?

Old 10-06-10, 08:24 PM
E
Is your pilot flame size and color ample? You need a blue flame that engulfs about the last 1/3 of it. See if that is not happening, and hence the cause of your trouble. You would then have to remove the pilot assembly and clean the orifice (at the burner end of it) if the pilot is weak. If natural gas, the orifice hole is so super tiny that you need something finer than a pin to clear out that orifice hole - like a strand plucked from a wire brush (you can hold with a pliers if need be).

No responses when I was typing my submission. Hi SP! It's that time of year again where we get to be in our glory.

Old 10-06-10, 08:31 PM
Great minds think alike, Ecman!

Old 10-06-10, 09:05 PM
E
Is your pilot flame size and color ample? You need a blue flame that engulfs about the last 1/3 of it. See if that is not happening, and hence the cause of your trouble. You would then have to remove the pilot assembly and clean the orifice (at the burner end of it) if the pilot is weak. If natural gas, the orifice hole is so super tiny that you need something finer than a pin to clear out that orifice hole - like a strand plucked from a wire brush (you can hold with a pliers if need be).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: