Heat pump making clicking sound

Old 12-13-00, 09:59 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a two stage Ruud heat pump. During the heating stages when the room gets to a certain temp, the outside unit starts to make a loud clicking sound while on the inside t-stat, the aux light flashes to the sound. If i slide the dial up, the light stays on and the sound stops. Or if i slide it down, the light stays off and the sound stops. The aux heat seems like its debating on whether it should come on or not. A degree up or down will make it commit, but it seems to be stuck in the middle. It does quit after a while, but when it reaches that 1/2 degree point, it starts over again. Not to mention the rest of the lights in the house lightly flicker when this is going on. I know someone else on this page had the same problem, but i'm not sure if a remedy was found. Please help!!

P.S. I also installed a Hunter 44428 prog. t-stat thinking it would solve the problem. AAAAHHH.....no.

Old 12-14-00, 02:08 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Lights flickering

You have something ,probably in the low voltage circuit,that isn't making a good connection.The lights flickering indicate that your compressor contactor is dropping in and out.The amperage draw from this rapid cycling is causing a voltage drop.You will need a TECH to solve your problem.I would recommend running on your auxheat until he arrives to prevent any damage to your compressor.PDF

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: