janitrol furnace burners won't light

Old 10-10-10, 04:42 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
janitrol furnace burners won't light

I have a janitrol gas furnace. it has 3 burners. when I go to fire it up the burner on the right ignites for about 10 seconds then goes out. a minute or 2 later it repeats the same sequence. the flame sensor is over by the left burner and I have cleaned it. my question is, should all 3 burners come on at the beginning or is it correct in only lighting the one burner and I'm looking at a bad flame sensor? or is it something else?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-10, 04:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, all three burners should light pretty much instantaneously. If you look carefully, your will see carryover burners which allow the flame to move from burner to burner.

The most common reason for burners to fail to light is that the burner ports are corroded, plugged and dirty. Removing the burners and brushing them clean with a wire brush usually solves the problem.

However, this condition usually is the result of neglected maintenance on the furnace. You probably have other maintenance that needs to be done to keep the furnace working safely and economically. If you haven't had the furnace maintained by a competent service agency at least in the past two or three years, you are overdue and should have that done promptly.

Old 10-10-10, 05:51 PM
D
thanks for the quick reply. I will look at cleaning up the burners and see if that works and then get someone out to inspect it. thanks again...

Old 10-10-10, 06:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You are actually missing the dramatic element of most furnace "delayed ignition" problems. That's when enough gas accumulates in the other heat exchangers to finally light off with a loud "Ka-blam"!

Under favorable circumstances this can blow the front cover off the furnace and wake up the neighbors.

Old 10-11-10, 05:59 PM
D
thanks for the information, cleaned up the burners and it fired up like a charm. I will get a maintenance call in and have it serviced.

thanks again....