Furnace wont fire - Ignition Problem - Check Ground Message

Old 10-11-10, 09:37 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace wont fire - Ignition Problem - Check Ground Message

We have a 7 year old nordyne gas furnace, The furnace stopped working yesterday.
when turned on the furnace starts, the heating coil heats up and i hear the clicking sound for the ignition, the ignition never happens and i hear an another clicking sound following the heating coil shuts down and the same procedure continues for 4 times and then i start seeing a flashing red (flashes 4 times), according to the information on the back door
four flashes = Ignition Problem - Check Ground
. I have cehcked all the wires
. cleaned the flame sensor
. inspected the heating coil

i have no clue how to check the ground, what am i suppose to check, the furnace was working a couple of days ago and the only change is i replaced the air filter any information on how to troubleshoot will be helpful. thanks in advance

Old 10-11-10, 10:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The hot surface ignitor should get white hot, then you should hear a click as the gas valve opens and the gas to the main burner should turn on. If that doesn't light within three seconds or so, the second click would be the gas valve shutting off the gas.

Is the main burner gas turning on as described? If not, check to be sure the gas valves are all turned on.

Old 10-11-10, 10:28 AM
S
The gas value is turned on, We have two Gas furnace, one for the first floor and the basement and the second for the second floor, The second floor and the first floor units are connected to the gas connection and the main value is open, The second furnace does work fine. I also checked the value that is specific for the first furnace and that is turned on as well.

Old 10-11-10, 05:20 PM
E
SP mentioned about the hot coil. If it does not get hot enough, it will not set off the gas. You can ohms test the coil across it's two wires, with a volt-ohmmeter. It should be about less than 100 ohms, to set off the gas. Or you could have such dirty burners in the area of the glow coil that, it can't set off the gas in the 3 second safety allotment time. But I am more willing to bet on the glow coil going weak.

Old 10-12-10, 10:26 AM
When you hear the first click, does the main burner gas actually turn on? You need to know this. However, putting your face in a furnace which may explode with delayed ignition makes this a chancy thing to do.

Furnace repairmen have their little methods for checking on that, although there is a learning curve that has usually left the furnace repairman red faced or red nosed a time or two when he wasn't being careful. (from first degree burns).

Old 12-19-10, 10:48 PM
J
Did you get this fixed?

I have had the same problem for 3 years running.

I already typed it up at hvacmechanic.com

If you search: Ignition Failure, Check Ground - FG6RA 072C-12A

You should find the details for my case. So far I've been able to temporarily get the furnace working again. Still looking for a permanent fix.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: