Old 10-13-10, 06:00 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane VX95 and XL16i Questions

TUH2C100A9V4VAB - Furnace
4TWX6036E1000AA - HP
4TXCC043BC3HCA - Coil
2300 Sqft. house + 780 Sqft. finished basement. 15 years old.

I have read all of the posts on this forum about this furnace and HP. Thanks to Jay11J I now know way more about my new furnace than I did when the installer left. I have switched the wiring to use the furnace as a "True" 2 stage furnace and set up my VisionPro IAQ thermostat the way I want it, not the way the installer set it. I also figured out how to wire up my Aprilaire powered humidifer and set the frost protection, which the installer said wasn't possible.

I do have a couple of questions though.

1. I removed the Orange wire from the Furnace to the EIM as stated in a earlier posting. What did this affect?

2. Which blower speed settings are used by the HP when in heating mode?

3. What should my blower speed settings be based on given information? When I look at the settings on the back of the blower door I'm not sure which ones apply to my system.

Current Dip Switches

1-off
2-on
3-off
4-off
5-on
6-on
7-off
8-on

4. If I set the thermostat fan program for "Recir" and I turn the heat/cool off I can't seem to turn the fan off with out changing the program itself.

Thanks Again for all of the great help that you post on here Jay11J. I hate not knowing the basics of anything that I own. Until this forum I was in the dark when it came to my heating and cooling system.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-14-10, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by mlheck
TUH2C100A9V4VAB - Furnace
4TWX6036E1000AA - HP
4TXCC043BC3HCA - Coil
2300 Sqft. house + 780 Sqft. finished basement. 15 years old.
Where are you out of? Did they do a Manual-J on your home?? Seems like anwful large furnace in a 15 years old home.

set up my VisionPro IAQ thermostat the way I want it, not the way the installer set it.
As in what ways?
1. I removed the Orange wire from the Furnace to the EIM as stated in a earlier posting. What did this affect?
Where was the orange wire?? On O/B to O on furance?

2. Which blower speed settings are used by the HP when in heating mode?
The HP is going to run on the A/C blower speed setting.
3. What should my blower speed settings be based on given information? When I look at the settings on the back of the blower door I'm not sure which ones apply to my system.
The blower speed below for cooling/hp is set up right. Looks like gas heating speed is set down a notch slower. I'm guesing they did a temp rise reading to make sure it is in range of temp rise rating.

4. If I set the thermostat fan program for "Recir" and I turn the heat/cool off I can't seem to turn the fan off with out changing the program itself.
The fan will run what ever is programed into the program mode. It will not matter on what system setting is at. I just set it to AUTO, then comes heating season, I set the fan to ON, back to auto in cooling season.

Glad to help out so far Mike.

Old 10-15-10, 03:24 PM
M
[
QUOTE=Jay11J;1778136]Where are you out of? Did they do a Manual-J on your home?? Seems like anwful large furnace in a 15 years old home.
No, they just looked at the size that was previously installed and I believe they went a little smaller because of the higher efficiency.

As in what ways?
Here are my setting on the IAQ. Numbers in Red are what installer had that I cahanged.

172-2
173-0
174-2
176-2 1
190-0
200-1
210-0
220-2 3
230-3
240-2 5
250-3
280-1
300-0
320-0
330-2
340-0
342-1
345-2 1
347-2
350-25
360-50
365-0
370-1 0
372-3 0
374-2
379-0
400-0
500-6
502-0
510-3
520-0
530-1
540-2
580-5
600-90
610-60
640-12
650-0
660-0

Where was the orange wire?? On O/B to O on furance?
Yes, Before I removed this wire the the first and second stage heat was blowing cold air. I'm not sure why has I thought it worked when they tested it. I don't think I changed anything that would have caused that problem.

The fan will run what ever is programed into the program mode. It will not matter on what system setting is at. I just set it to AUTO, then comes heating season, I set the fan to ON, back to auto in cooling season.
This is a real pain though during the change of seasons when we don't always use the heat or cooling every day. We prefer fresh air when we can.

Thanks Again for your help.

Old 10-15-10, 07:44 PM
No, they just looked at the size that was previously installed and I believe they went a little smaller because of the higher efficiency.
Buzzzzzzzzzz! That is NOT how to size a furnace in the home.... :-(

350-25 (I'd go to 20˚)
360-50 (Best to go 35˚, there's lot of heat in the air at down to that temp)
500-6 (What kind of filter do you have?)
510-3 (On mine I find that 1 is about a heating season run time)
540-2 (Do you plan on using set back temps? If so, how much of a set back?)

Yes, Before I removed this wire the the first and second stage heat was blowing cold air.
Is there an O wire tied up to the unit outside?

This is a real pain though during the change of seasons when we don't always use the heat or cooling every day. We prefer fresh air when we can.
What's a pain? To reprogram the stat to run a fan schedule?

How is it wired up?

Lot of dealer mess this up on the XL16 unit.

Old 10-16-10, 01:19 PM
M
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Jay11J
Buzzzzzzzzzz! That is NOT how to size a furnace in the home.... :-(
I had 5 other estimates and they all did it the same way. Not saying that it was right, but they all did it.

500-6 (What kind of filter do you have?)
I have a Aprilaire 6" pleated media filter.

510-3 (On mine I find that 1 is about a heating season run time)
OK

540-2 (Do you plan on using set back temps? If so, how much of a set back?)
Yes, we set it back to 62 at night. I know that I shouldn't do this with a HP, but we like to sleep in a cool house.

This does bring up the question. When the furnace is called for because of the droop setting, does the furnace run until the droop is reached and then switch to the HP, or until the set temp. is reached?

Is there an O wire tied up to the unit outside?
Yes

How is it wired up?

Lot of dealer mess this up on the XL16 unit.

Which wiring are you asking about here?

Old 10-16-10, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=mlheck;1778637]
I had 5 other estimates and they all did it the same way. Not saying that it was right, but they all did it.
I'd bet in your home, you could go down to 80k. I went from 112k down to 60k in our home. Guess you'll see on your cold snap, and see if the furnace runs 2nd stage steady.

I have a Aprilaire 6" pleated media filter.
Suggest setting it to 13, chang the filter out twice a year.

This does bring up the question. When the furnace is called for because of the droop setting, does the furnace run until the droop is reached and then switch to the HP, or until the set temp. is reached?
I'm not sure? I have not heard or seeing anything in writing.. You'll have to let me know.

Which wiring are you asking about here?
between the EMI, Fur, and HP..

Example.

EMI----Fur-------HP
R's------R---------R
O/B-----O--------O
G-------G

Ect..

Old 10-17-10, 03:28 PM
M
OK here is how it is wired. I had to look on the back of the HP access panel for the terminal designations, as the wires from the EMI are twisted to the HP wires. I think I got them right. I gave you the wire colors just in case I read them wrong.

EMI------Fur-----HP / Wire Color

R's--------R------R / Red
C--------B/C-----B / Blue
G---------G
O/B--------------O / Orange
Aux1-----W1-----X2 / Blk
Aux2-----W2
Y---------Y------Y1 / Yellow
Y2-------BK------Y2 / Yellow/Red

Jumper from R to O on Furnace
Jumper on Furnace board is cut

Old 10-17-10, 08:58 PM
Looks good, and it's done right.

Enjoy the new system!

Old 10-18-10, 04:20 PM
M
I'd bet in your home, you could go down to 80k. I went from 112k down to 60k in our home. Guess you'll see on your cold snap, and see if the furnace runs 2nd stage steady.
I am a bit confused by this statement. I would have thought that if the furnace is oversized that I would have the opposite problem, that being that I would not be able to get the furnace to switch to the second stage because the first stage had enough BTU's to heat the house.

I asked Honeywell about this:

Questions/Comments:
I am using this thermostat with a Heat Pump and Gas furnace. My question is when the thermostat swithes the heat from the heat pump to the backup heat source because a temperture set back exceedes the droop setting, does the thermostat use the backup heat source to satisfy the temp setting, or just until the droop setting is reached where it then which switch to the heat pump again.

Here is their answer:

Michael ,

Thank you for contacting Honeywell.

It will use the back up heating to satisfy the temp that have been set. An then once it have been meet then it would go back to just running the heat pump.

Thanks Again for your Help!

Old 10-18-10, 07:57 PM
I would have thought that if the furnace is oversized that I would have the opposite problem, that being that I would not be able to get the furnace to switch to the second stage because the first stage had enough BTU's to heat the house.
If your furnace is oversized, and on the coldest day, the 1st stage is able to keep temp, and 2nd stage don't kick in much or don't run at all, you have wasted all that money on a furnace that you won't be able to use it's full stages you've paid for.

I asked Honeywell about this:
Thanks for sharing, now I know if someone else asks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: