My furnace all ready for winter?

Old 10-19-10, 03:07 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My furnace all ready for winter?

It's a heil unit, honeywell control board & smart valve, 80% efficient, fresh filter and I replaced the draft inducer last year.

Currently with a 52f ambient temp I came home to a house at 66f, turned on the furance and ran it for 30 minutes, got the temp up to 72f and checked the delta-t.

Getting 114f out of the vents and 74 return, split of 40f... sticker says anything 35-65f is acceptable so that's in range, any further service needed to further optimize the unit? Fan is connected to orange / medium HI as noted on the service label on the lower panel.

Blower fan is clean etc, have no way to check gas pressure but 3 flames and all are blue with a flicker of orange every few seconds.

Old 10-19-10, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The heat rise is OK.

But doing annual maintenance on a furnace is a somewhat chancy enterprise for the DIYer. There are a lot of things that could be a problem which an experienced repairman will notice but a DIYer will not.

I have thew same problem when I'm doing DIY work on a bicycle or other equipment. It can be embarrassing to overlook things that are obvious that a skilled repairman picks up on but I overlook.

Just to mention one example--- a DIYer isn't likely to recognize a fan interference problem that might warn of a cracked heat exchanger.

Old 10-20-10, 07:40 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
are you a certified HVAC technician? Why would I not notice a cracked heat exchanger? What symptoms would that create?

Old 10-20-10, 01:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm retired from being a furnace repairman.

The typical DIYer would have a difficult time checking for heat exchanger cracks and holes because it takes skill to do that few DIYers have.

And that's only one of a variety of possible problems that a good annual maintenance check involves.

In my opinion, it's often easier for a DIYer to repair a problem that prevents the furnace from running than to do a good job on annual maintenance.

And that probably goes triple for oil furnaces.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: