Heat Pump Control Board

Old 12-15-00, 05:45 PM
kianje
Visiting Guest
Had a repairman come out late today and check my heatpump which was not defrosting. After doing the diagnostics, he informed me I needed a control board and they would have to order it. Calling back monday with a price. I asked him for a ballpark figure on the cost of the board and installation and he said the board costs alot. I don't know what "alot" is to him. I am trying to find if someone here knows a ballpark figure and I am also wanting to weigh this cost versus getting a new "outside unit" only plus installation. (My unit is 12 years old and I know the newer ones are much more efficient. What about the investment recoup time with a better SEER?) I know there are several variations in this equation and I will try to supply some pertinent info. Again, my unit is 12 years old. Bryant, model #540AJX024000AAAA. House is 1700 sq ft with 700 sq ft basement. Live in cleveland ohio. All electric. Also considering, provided I can buy the board, changing it out myself. Is there more to it than just making sure all the wires are connected to the same place as the old board?
Thanks in advance for any input provided.
Andy

[Edited by kianje on 12-15-00 at 09:08]

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-00, 07:28 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Bryant is a Carrier product and the board is an OEM part. You can only get it from a Carrier/Bryant supply house. They usually do not sell to the general public, in fact, in some states they will only sell to Carrier/Bryant dealers. Ballpark on the board, 150/200. And if you called a Carrier/Bryant HVAC Co., they should've stocked that board on their truck and know the cost. It is a very common board. Did you call a Carrier/Bryant Co.? If not, do. The part will be much cheaper and they'll have it.
With a 12yr old system, and just replacing the outdoor unit, seer rating is useless to you. To achieve rated seer of 14 or better(which is the only way to realize investment savings) you'd have to replace the entire system.

Old 12-16-00, 07:43 AM
kianje
Visiting Guest
I did not use a Bryant dealer but I will call them for my board installation based on what you told me. Thanks

Old 12-16-00, 08:10 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
You are very welcome. It may not be your defrost board either. There is a defrost t'stat that works with the board. Both the board(which cycles defrost by timing 60,90, or 120 min.) and the defrost t'stat(which cycles defrost by temp) have to be calling for defrost at the same time for your unit to go into defrost. If the t'stat is bad you'll never go into defrost either. A qualified Bryant tech knows how to test the t'stat.

Old 12-16-00, 08:32 AM
kianje
Visiting Guest
Thanks again. The tech yesterday told he checked the thermostat. He also said he did some cross checks with the timer which was located on the board.

Old 12-16-00, 08:56 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
If you are adventurous you may test the board and t'stat yourself. See the post 12/13/00 by kianje. I've given instructions on how to test the board and t'stat.

Old 12-16-00, 11:08 AM
kianje
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I went back and read your post and since I have seen the inside of it now, some of the 12/13 post made more sense to me. I just went back and looked at the board and I did not see the timer. (Curious as to what it was set on) The repairman talked about it yesterday but I simply do not see it on the board. Where and what does it look like?

Also I noticed that all of my indoor t'stat wires are hooked to that board except the black and green yet they are connected to the inside t'stat. Keep in mind the repairman has the power shut off to my outside unit. Since the weather is a little warmer today, I wanted to turn it on but I did not know if he disconnected them or if they were ever connected. (very short bare wire at the ends of them so appears they may have never been connected)

Since the power has now been off to the outside unit for approx 22 hours, is there not a waiting period after I connect this power before I can actually turn the unit on?
I really appreciate the responses you have been giving. Very informative.

Old 12-16-00, 11:58 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Timer setting on your board are three round type stab on connections labeled 60,90 and 120. There will be a wire going to one of them. The timer is acually part of the circuitry in the board and is not a separate or visible item. Why did he shut your heat pump down? You only have a defrost problem. By switching your t'stat to em heat your heat pump will stay off while your using em heat. Switch to em heat on your t'stat and turn power on to the heat pump. There is a sump heater on the compressor which needs to be energized to keep liquid freon away from the compressor motor windings. Liquid freon will damage them. Bryant recommends that power be on the unit for 24hrs. before start up.

Old 12-16-00, 04:08 PM
kianje
Visiting Guest
I have no idea why he left it off. I thought it was supposed to keep power going to it. He told me he was doing that and I did not question him. Do you feel I will have compressor damage? I had actually had thought about starting it up since the temp was above freezing today just to see if it was still freezing up. I have not been using my em heat, have a kerosene heater that has served the purpose.
Thanks

Old 12-16-00, 05:05 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Put power to it and start it. It probably has not sustained any damage.

Old 12-17-00, 07:32 AM
kianje
Visiting Guest
Thanks fjrachel, Waited until this morning to turn my unit on. Had went out beforehand and looked to see if it looked like any wires were disconnected and did not see any. After turning it on, went out immediately to make sure it was running. It was. I took the cover off of the t'stat so I could see the mercury bulb (only has two) and eased it up a little at a time to keep the aux from turning on. Looking outside, my unit started icing over as usual. I remembered the guy telling me my timer was set on 90 so I decided to go out and look for what you told me to look for. Just as you described, I found the wire for the timer and it was set on 90. As I was about to put my cover back on, my unit "whoooshed" and went in defrost mode.
Now I am really puzzled. If the board is bad, could this have happened? Too, since I live in Cleveland, should this timer be set on 45 instead of 90?
Thanks

Old 12-17-00, 09:51 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Well, well, well, did the outdoor fan shut off when it went into defrost? If so there is definitely nothing wrong with the board or the defrost t'stat.
With the defrost mode working and not defrosting correctly, these are the probable causes: A dirty outdoor coil. Low on freon, due to a leak. If you've never had freon put in I would clean the outdoor coil first. If that don't work call another hvac co. and have them check the freon and leak ck.
Yes, in your area 45min is best time setting for defrost. 90 min is the factory default setting.

Old 12-17-00, 10:18 AM
kianje
Visiting Guest
The fan did turn off while it was defrosting. He checked the freon and said it was ok. Before I called anyone out, I had taken it apart and washed it down real good. Maybe that helped.
When I first notice this happening, we had a strong windstorm with rain and then a quick freeze in behind it. The night of the windstorm, the power went off and right back on three times within 5 minutes. I wonder if this somehow possibly fouled the heatpump and with me letting it set all that time without running it might have possibly helped straighten it out?

I will also reset that timer. I certainly appreciate all of your replies. You have been so much help.

Old 12-17-00, 11:03 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Again a simple solution. Every time you loose power to the defrost board the timing resets. It may have been close to defrost time when you lost power. Boom, it resets, now another 90 minutes of run time, even though the defrost t'stat is calling, the timer is not. Both must be calling before defrost initiates. You just accumulated more ice then the defrost timer would allow. Also when it is very cold and wet outdoors, you may not defrost properly either.

Old 12-17-00, 05:17 PM
kianje
Visiting Guest
Thanks again fjrachel!!!