Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Millivolt system testing when Pilot is on, but main burner not always lighting

Millivolt system testing when Pilot is on, but main burner not always lighting

Old 11-09-10, 04:48 PM
Nice job, albeit a little long to the end. lol

Pilot looks the way it should, i don't know if you removed the cover in the middle where the screw was missing, but that is where the "primary air" opening is located and does attract lint and dust. The reading(s) you took were "open" reads. You may want to take them again with the t'stat calling for heat. You will see the reads will be lower. Take one across the two P.G terminals and another across the two t'stat terminals. Even though all is well now I'm a bit curious to see the reads.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-10, 08:15 AM
mbk, I know it took a long time. but at least i got it done.

I think i had that metal plate off, but i don't recall seeing any air opening? I went through the other pics I had, and did not see a pic where I took that apart. but i was pretty focused on just getting that orifice apart, and back together, so maybe i had tunnel vision.

I would like to get a vacuum in there and start cleaning the burners and heat exchange area. you can see in the picture there is a lot of dust that needs cleaned.

what is the best way for me to clean? vacuum? brush, steel wool, or ? it seems really dusty right by the pilot flame area, and on the cabinet just under the main burners. Any advice?

Old 11-10-10, 08:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Fairly commonly the burner will lift out pretty easily. Others may take some work to remove the burners.

They should be taken out and any rust or crud removed with a wire brush and any dust and junk blown out from inside the burners. Just lung power is adequate for that.

Use a long thin brush or vacuum to remove dust, rust and junk from the bottom of the heat exchangers exposed when the burners have been removed.

Use a flashlight and mirror to inspect the heat exchangers for cracks or holes wjhile the burners are out.

And don't change the adjustments on the primary air shutters.

Removing, cleaning and inspecting burners and heat exchangers really isn't a good DIY task. It's easy to not do the job correctly and not doing it properly can be dangerous, although you aren't going to recognize the hazards that might be there.

Old 11-30-10, 03:50 PM
SeattlePioneer, mk3,

Thank you so much for your help. I have been working on other problems, cars mostly, so I have not got back here to tell you it is great to have help on these problems.

The furnace has been working well.

Old 12-01-10, 03:49 PM
Thank you for getting back to us, happy all is well. Merry Christmas