Trane VX95 Installation - I really need help.

Old 10-25-10, 01:26 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane VX95 Installation - I really need help.

I recently replaced an older Keeprite gas furnace with a Trane VX95 Upflow furnace.

The old Keeprite took 14" filters.

The installers kept all of the old venting, and cut a side return in the new VX95 to match the old venting. So my new VX95 has a smaller air return than specified in the installation guide and takes only 14" filters (instead of 17").

The installer did not think that this would impact the performance of my furnace.

What do you think?

Any opinions or links that might help me out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

Old 10-25-10, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It could be important. A couple of checks that should be done is to measure the heat rise ---- the warm air temperature minus the return air temperature. The acceptable range of heat rise is on the rating plate of the furnace.

Also, the static pressure should be measured ---- the air pressure upstream of the furnace minus the air pressure downstream of the furnace. The acceptable range of static pressure is also listed on the furnace.

Do you have central air conditioning? That make correct ducting more important since the AC usually uses a higher fan speed and the AC coil in the furnace adds more air resistance. Higher fan speed means more air resistance too, and perhaps more noise through a smaller duct system.

Old 10-25-10, 07:18 PM
D
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I do have central air.

My main concern is that the side return hole cut in the new VX95 furnace is a few inches smaller than the size outlined in the installation guide.

I was worried that it would affect the performance or the life of the new furnace.

But if I understand correctly, as long as the heat rise and static pressure tests fall within range, it should be OK.

Thanks for the help.

Don

Old 10-25-10, 08:00 PM
If the opening is abit bigger is has no affect.. If it was smaller than that's another story!

I take it the filter is down the line in the grill?

Also, did you get a two stage stat to match this furnace?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: