Frigidaire Gas Furnace Problem.

Old 10-30-10, 06:37 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire Gas Furnace Problem.

I woke up this morning a little cold. I went to the thermostat and it read four degrees colder than it should be. I tried turning it on and off and got nothing. Unfortunately for me, my unit is underneath my house, propped up in the crawlspace. I worked my way over to it, expecting to see a flashing trouble code. I removed the access panel and none of the lights were, including the red power light.

The night before we had some plumbing problems and while the ground near the furnace was dry, it did coincidentally seem to reset the system and flip the emergency switches? The only way I could get the buzzer attached to the switch was to flip the breaker off. But even after resetting the breaker, I have no power to the unit.

I have a Frigidaire 90+ system. The efficiency rating tag states 92.1? I can get the model number, but not until morning. The worst part of it all, my hvac guy went on vaca this morning. Boo! Comments, Tips, General Idea how to reset the system would be appreciated.

Old 10-30-10, 10:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Crawl spaces --- the bane of the repairman's life. This one sounds like a peach, too.

Check to be sure the power switch at the furnace is turned on and that the fan compartment door switch is closed by the fan compartment cover.

Check to see if you have 24 VAC between the chassis of the furnace and the R contact for the thermostat. If you don't, you need to verify that you have 120 VAC to the furnace.

If voltage at R is good, check to see if you have 24 VAC at the W contact as well.

Old 10-31-10, 11:59 AM
M
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but where generally is the power switch at the furnace? I see the compartment switch and what they call "safety reset buttons" but they don't seem to do anything.

Old 10-31-10, 01:25 PM
Check the breaker box and be sure the breaker for the furnace is on. I've done some rotten crawlers and found that a kid shut off the breaker. [That will be $95 + tax, please!]

There should also be a power switch like a light switch right near the furnace. That should be turn on too.

Old 10-31-10, 06:43 PM
M
Okay. I found both the switch and the breaker. I can't see the switch very well to read which way it was installled. It is currently horizontal. I will have to check all that out in the morning when I can get back under there. I flicked the breaker off and then back on. Once I did that there was a buzzing noise. Upon inspection, it seems there is a buzzer hooked up to the emergency switch that is by the furnace? (How I am gonna get to that in an emergency.) The only way I could stop the buzzing was to turn the breaker back off. The emergency switches are all set to on currently.

Old 10-31-10, 06:53 PM
Ummm. I'm guessing that the buzzing noise you hear is an intermittent pilot ignition system, which lights the pilot light each time the furnace calls for heat. Often lighting the pilot uses a spark which can create a buzzing noise.

If I'm correct in that, then the power is on to the furnace and the power switch is on as well. The transformer that powers the spark ignition system is working and the ignition system is trying to light the pilot.

When you get down to the furnace, switching the power switch off and then on should cause the pilot to try to light just as when you turned the breaker on and off.

You'll need to take the front cover off the furnace to get the model number of the furnace. You may see a plastic box with a spark lead going to the pilot burner ----get the make and model number of that as well.

And observe carefully where the spark is coming from and what it is doing. If it's the spark ignition system I think it is, the spark should light the pilot burner and then the main burner gas should turn on and light off the pilot burner.

You need to observe what is happening.

Old 11-01-10, 06:21 AM
M
The buzzing is not coming from the unit itself. There is a an electrical junction mounted about 2 ft from the emergency switch. I will try to take a picture of this later today. I will also try to get model number information as well.

Old 11-01-10, 11:22 AM
M
I am wondering if it is related to the thermostat. I tried turning the AC on and lowering the temp roughly ten degrees and nothing happened. I changed the batteries and the display works fine, but still nothing.

Old 11-01-10, 11:51 AM
M
Great it won't let me post pictures from my computer only links.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: