Extending hot water baseboards into family room addition?

Old 10-31-10, 09:26 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Extending hot water baseboards into family room addition?

I have a gas furnace w/hot water baseboards in my 53 yr old home. I have a large family room added on in 1981. It is three steps down off the dining room and has electric baseboard heaters.

The cost of running the electric heaters is enormous. The room is 20x20, lots of windows, a cathedral ceiling and sits on a concrete slab. And it has a large fireplace.

Is it feasible or advisable to extend the hot water baseboards into the family room? And would the cost be exorbitant?

Thanks!

Old 10-31-10, 01:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It would depe3nd on whether the existing boiler has sufficiwent spare capacity to heat the additional space. It's not unusual to find boilers oversized, so that might work.

Old 10-31-10, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Extending Baseboard

It might be worth looking into making that a separate zone, especially if that room can be isolated from the rest of the house simply by closing doors.

Old 10-31-10, 07:12 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately there is no way to close the room off...the opening from the dining room is about 10ft wide.

Old 11-01-10, 01:13 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Let me step in here for a minute ., how many room that have hot water baseboard heat and how many room on air flowage { standard furance } and how many BTU each unit are now? { Both Furance and Boiler } the reason why few of us will try to steer in correct direction to see if the boiler is big engouh to handle addtional loads.

And what state or providce you are in now ?? { that may affect the way it can shift the figures.}

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-01-10, 06:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
French,
Unless I miss my guess, I suspect the OP does not have a warm air furnace at all, just the boiler & the electric bsbd. Many folks say "furnace" when in fact they are talking about a boiler.

TPJS,
How much electric baseboard do you have in the room & does it keep the room warm without overheating?
FYI: Typical electric baseboard puts out about 850 btu/ft.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: