Gas Furnace will not even pretend to turn on!

Old 11-01-10, 11:52 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Furnace will not even pretend to turn on!

Howdy - now that it's gettting cooler, it's time for my furnace to crap out! This furnace has only been run one other time by me (just bought the house), and that was for but a minute or two. However, when I started it up the other day, there was a horrible clunking/whining sound, so I turned it off. When I went to turn it on again, it would not fire - no flame, nothing. It acts like it is totally dead. When I turn the thermostat fan to "ON," it does blow air. When I push in the black safety button (the one that is depressed when the lower panel is attached) on the lower section of the furnace itself, I can hear something click on (it kind of hums), but nothing really happens at all.

Unfortunately, I can't recall the exact make of the unit right now. I can tell you that instead of having the type of heating apparatus where a "cone" of a flame is made, it has a metal "tube" that extends back into the furnace that is perforated. Gas escapes the perforations, is lit, and heat is generated.

If anyone has any suggestions as to where I can begin, I would be most grateful!

Also, sorry for the vagueness of this post - if more info is needed, please let me know and I will do my best to accomodate!

Old 11-01-10, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You need to take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace and post the make and model of the furnace from the information on the rating plate.

Then turn the thermostat down below the set point. Turn it up and observe what happen when the furnace attempts to light up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: