York Furnace, 3 1/2 years old not igniting. Pressure switch issue.

Old 11-04-10, 04:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Furnace, 3 1/2 years old not igniting. Pressure switch issue.

Hello,

I am new to this site but have found it very helpful and I am hoping I can get my problem resolved.

New home with new furnace (york) and has been perfect for over 3 years now. This morning I noticed the house was cold and looked at the thermostat. It was following the schedule but the furnace was not running. Started searching threads and it sounded like it was most likely the pressure switch, and the flashing led on the furnace supported it.

Got a new switch, hooked it up and the same error occurred. Messed around with it for a bit and nothing. So for the heck of it, I removed the pressure line from the burnbox and it was off and running. Attach the line back to the box and on the next furnace start, same problem.

I have made sure all pressure lines are clear from obstructions, went outside to see if anything was blocking the inlet tube and it has LOTS of suction, and so on.

Now for some reason the furnace has fired the last 3 times it has called for heat, so I am more lost now then ever.

Is there anything else I can look for that might be causing this intermittent failure?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-10, 04:51 PM
so its a pressure switch with two rubber hoses. to tell u the truth i have no idea why the hose goes to the burner box. i would leave it off.

Old 11-04-10, 05:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's something very marginal with the way the furnace is drafting. Either the inlet, or the exhaust, or even secondary exchanger/possible condensate water backup that needs to be blown out.

Old 11-04-10, 05:11 PM
Thank you for the replies.

The water line is clear, and I would think the venting is good as it has not been touched since it was installed and has never missed a beat.

Ender, yes it is the switch with the 2 rubber hoses. I just wonder if it could cause a major safety issue with the one hose not connected to the burn box?

Old 11-04-10, 05:11 PM
People go for changing out pressure switches like a duck on a junebug, but 95% of the time the pressure switch is shutting off for a reason.

Old 11-04-10, 05:32 PM
The only reason I changed it out is the fact the furnace was giving me that error code.

I checked all of the different reasons it could possibly be doing what it is, and so far all they have all checked out.

Inlet, clear.
Hoses, clear.
Filters, clear.
Water in lines, clear.

Someone posted on another forum that they took apart the inlet blower and cleaned it out, and that supposedly solved their problem.

4 latest furnace starts were fine, now it is back to what it was doing before.

Pulled off the pressure line to the burn box, and works perfect. Very odd.

Old 11-04-10, 06:40 PM
Just wanted to post a update. I went through the whole thing again and I missed on line for water. Unplugged it and it was full of water. There was nothing clogging the line, it has just developed a sag in the line and it was not allowing the water to darin properly.

I ended up cutting the line shorter, hooked it all back up and now seems to be running perfectly. I'll let it go for a day or 2 and post a update. Thank you again everyone for all of your helpful ideas. Very much appreciated.

Old 11-04-10, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by viperdriver1 View Post
The only reason I changed it out is the fact the furnace was giving me that error code.

Yes, I know. I regularly discourage people from replacing the pressure switch until all other issues have been considered, because the pressure switch is rarely the problem.

I keep imagining a mountain of perfectly useful but discarded pressure switch out there!

Congratulations on identifying the likely problem!