Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

choosing a boiler and whether or not to install an indirect fired water heater

Old 11-04-10, 08:49 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

i am installing a direct vented boiler in my home. it needs to be direct vented because my chimney would need to be relined in order to use it. i decided to put my money into a more efficient direct vented unit instead. I am looking at installing the weil mclain cgs 133,000 btu boiler 84 % effeciency. i have had a heat loss calculation done and that seems to be the size for my house.

I am hearing two different things one that weil mclain sucks and will just give me problems, and on the other side some people are telling me they are the only boiler to use. so if its not weil mclain is it utica, peerless or crown i am not sure. Also i am being told that instead if installing a direct vented water heater that i should install an indirect fired water heater. some people are saying that that is worse because the boiler will then run all summer and will cost me more.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this subject for me and help me make an educated decision on brand and type. Just for reference i live in NJ and our heating season usually goes from november to april. thank you so much for your feedback.

Old 11-04-10, 10:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
In my experience, pretty much all brands are good. The big variable is the quality of the installation. Look for a quality contractor.

There are a variety of ways potable water can be heated by a boiler. A "hot" boiler keeps the boiler hot all the time so it's ready instantly to heat water. A "cold" boiler may turn the boiler on only when needed to provide heat for the house or to heat a separate tank of potable hot water.

A hot boiler needs to be well insulated to avoid wasting energy at a minimum. I'd ask about that.

A cold boiler that turns on only when needed to add heat to a separate water tank can be good, and the tank can be heavily insulated. That might be worth considering.

No hard and fast rules I can give you.

You can post again to ask about the reasonableness of the advice you are given. That might be worthwhile.

Old 11-05-10, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Boiler

Another one you might want to look at is the Energy Kinetics System 2000. System 2000 Product Gallery

In general a low water volume boiler is more energy efficient than one which contains a lot of water. I prefer using an indirect vs a stand alone water heater. This does not mean the boiler has to stay hot all year. It will only fire as needed to heat the water in the indirect.
Boilers used year round tend to hold up better than those only used seasonally for some reason. Probably less subject to condensation.

Old 11-05-10, 03:29 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
that system looks great how does it compare in cost to the weil mclain becuase budget is definately a factor for me since im a new homeowner?

Old 11-05-10, 03:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Price

Can't say for sure about the price but my guess is the System 2000 would be significantly more. I think Energy Kinetics has a dealer locator feature on their site but if they don't you can call them to find a dealer in your area. Most don't charge for a quote.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: