Goodman GMP 075 furnance - no flame ?

Old 11-05-10, 06:05 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman GMP 075 furnance - no flame ?

Goodman GMP 075-3 furnance - no flame

Symptoms=

ID fan runs. The ignitor glows for a few seconds (no flame or gas sound/odor then everything shuts down and recycles.

I disconnected the 2 wires that operate the gas valve and found that it is getting 24V when the ignitor is operating . There are no trouble codes showing on the furnace control board.

I brielly tried powering the gas valve with 24V directly from the secondary terminals of the transformer. I hear it click but did not hear or smell any gas . I presume that the problem is the gas valve . Is there anything else to check or adjust ?

-Thanks

Old 11-05-10, 07:15 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can confirm if gas meter 1/4 or 1/2 foot dial moves some, with every attempt to light. This will confirm you have at least opening of the gas valve, and movement through the gas line.

Make sure gas meter valve is on, outside, if you have no other gas appliances in the house. And that the 1/2 inch gas line valve inside, by the furnace, is on, and the gas valve that operates the burners is on.

Maybe you had gas service shut down in neighborhood and gas line now has air in it. I had situation with gas meter off and it took 21 lighting attempts before it naturally purged the air ouit, without me taking more drastic steps to get the gas to the burner gas valve quicker!

Ohms test the HSI wires (on the ignitor side, after you shut off the furnace power, and disconnect the jack. Remember to turn power back on when you are done. )

Old 11-06-10, 06:35 AM
R
The meter is not moving any when power is applied to the valve

There are other gas appliances branching off the line that are woring fine.

Tapping on the valve with the wooden handle of a hammer while the power is applied had no effect .

It appears that the valve is bad ( stuck or clogged ) . I also wonder if is possible for the burner ofifices to be clogged unlikely ,but I had to ask.

The valve in this furnace is a White Rogers a 36E22 202.

I am shopping for a replacement and need to know what gas valves cross reference to this one or find a suitable universal replacement gas valve .

The Sears Parts web site (http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...3/1771/0912130 )

Shows -

" B12826-14, Substitution:36H32-304 "

What other gas valves will work with this furnace ? Which of those will work without having to adjust the pressure or change the burner orifices ?

- Thanks

Last edited by rkpatt; 11-06-10 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-06-10, 11:16 AM
E
If you are getting say 3 seconds of main gas valve power at the terminals, but the gas meter does not move one iota, then it has to be the gas valve IF all you say is true - or - you have a clog somewhere between gas valve and furnace, or regulator (if you have one also at your furnace, and not just out by meter)is faulty.

Before I changed the gas valve, I'd remove the 1/2 inch black pipe? drip leg cap (with 2 small pipe wrenches) next to the furnace, with the gas valve turned off just above, and the furnace switch off - then briefly open the inline gas valve you shut off, to see if you actually not only smell gas, but hear/feel it come out the drip leg. Be sure furnace is off and nothing can ignite by spark/keep cell phone out of your pocket and away from area. Only do this test for say 3 seconds. Also have it in the back of your mind to be able to quickly rethread back on that cap, in case something happened wtih that inline valve while testing.

Old 11-06-10, 03:22 PM
R
ecman51-

I checked things as you suggested. No movement of the meter and the gas line is not clogged.

I have removed the valve and need to get a new one .

As the unit is !0+ years old (part # obsolete), I want to make sure that the replacement valve is the correct one . Any advice on this appreciated.

edit-

It looks like this valve - White Rogers 36H32-423 is what I need to replace the 36E22-202 valve that was in the unit .

White-Rodgers Search Results

Hopefully, I can purchase the new valve at a local HVAC supply house (with no HVAC license check) Monday rather than purchasing it online and having to wait.

-Thanks

Last edited by rkpatt; 11-06-10 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-06-10, 04:46 PM
E
Best wishes. Let us know how it all turns out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: