Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Winchester shuts off after a few minutes of heat blowing? Not real strong heat?

Old 11-06-10, 08:12 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Okay, here is the deal. I can post pics if needed. Im somewhat new to heaters so be easy on me.
Its a Winchester heating/AC blower unit. Working off of natural gas. I have a Hunter programmable electronic thermostat.
When i turned the heat on the other day, I only ran it for a couple of minutes to warm up the house in the morning just a bit. Shut it off~ Did it again the other day (only to run up the temp about 2 degrees then shut it off)~
This morning i decided to turn it on and let it run about 8 degrees up on the thermostat, but after about 15 minutes it shut off? Inside house temp was 61, thermostat set to 67? So, i switched the thermostat to off, then back onto heat. Kicked on and did the same thing.
So i looked online and found this site along with this thread
http://forum.doityourself.com/gas-oi...agnostics.html
I turned it back on and went to watch the light through the port hole. Turned green then went to a SLOW AMBER FLASH while the fan kicked on. I looked down the side of the unit where the gas line enters and looked through the slot and seen blue fire... Not huge flames or anything crazy, just like a small blue fire. Fan is blowing but still just a slow blinking amber light. Was blowing slightly warm from the vents, and the unit itself was warm. Then it shut off again(this is normally about 15min of running time), and it blinked a 4 Red code.... I checked that thread about the code. And it said i could have a dirty filter. So i pulled the filter, and its not really that bad???? Its a bit dirty but i replaced it near the end of summer and we havent really used the a/c or heat until now.

Anyhow, with the filter pulled~ It ran just fine up to the tempature that i wanted. I turned down the thermostat a couple degrees below what it was and the light changed to green and the blue flame was no longer... The light stays green and the fan stopped after a minute or so.
Does this seem like normal operation (the way the lights were)... And im assuming that the filter was the problem?

Old 11-06-10, 11:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Filter

It sounds like the filter is the problem. If you are using a pleated filter, replace it with a simple glass fiber one & make sure all vents are open & not blocked.

Old 11-06-10, 01:42 PM
C
Yeah i was using your standard "paper type" iguess cheap filter from home depot or walmart. Are you saying i should get one of those green looking meshed cheap filters instead? Its a really odd size and a real pain to put in.

Old 11-06-10, 04:00 PM
P
Sounds like your furnace was overheating due to insufficient airflow through the furnace. The paper filters restrict flow more than the green fiberglass filters.

Old 11-06-10, 06:49 PM
C
Yeah, i think that was what was going on? My wife reminded me that last year we had trouble with it turning off before heating to temp or running for too long and not shutting off... I vaguely remember this, but i do remember changing filters a bunch of times. Those paper ones get dirty fast.
The weird thing is, the one i was using wasnt that dirty when i pulled it?? But ill switch out to those other filters, should get better flow through the vents anyhow and less strain on the blower.... Possibly getting it to get to temp quicker and in turn lowering heating costs.... But thats all theory anyhow@

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: