Barometric Damper Adjustment

Old 11-06-10, 03:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Barometric Damper Adjustment

Hello:

Can anyone tell me if the barometric damper or draft controller on an oil furnace should ever tilt outward? Mine has a little tab on it that looks like it's there to prevent that, but every time I look the bottom of the flap is always tilting out.

Old 11-06-10, 03:49 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Your damper assembly may not be properly adjusted or you may have a slight downdraft on your chimney.

Old 11-06-10, 04:02 PM
Thanks,
It's probably a little of both. I'm going to check the face of the damper to see if it's level. Then I'm going to adjust for draft as best as I can. Should I adjust that little tab so that the damper never goes past vertical, only inward?

Old 11-06-10, 04:20 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
The face needs to be "plumb" and the pivots "level". I wouldn't be concerned with the tab that keeps the damper from swinging outward.

Old 11-06-10, 06:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Hey Tank,
After checking for plumb & level I'd bend that stop tab so it will prevent the damper from kicking out at the bottom. Failure to do so can cause exhaust to come out where it shouldn't. I've been known to run a screw up thru the bottom of the housing to act as a stop. Is this on that Thermo-Pride horizontal?

Old 11-07-10, 12:03 PM
Hi Grady,

Nice to hear from you. How have you been? Yes, I'm working on the horizontal Thermo-Pride again. I checked the damper for plumb and level, as Furd suggested, and made the necessary adjustments. I then adjusted the damper weight until I got the best draft reading on my manometer, which is when the door is vertical. Is that the right way to adjust it? Or, should I move the weight so that the door swings in ever so slightly?

Old 11-07-10, 12:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Barometric

Using the manometer is the correct way to adjust a barometric but you want the weight just on the verge of allowing the damper to open. You will always get max draft with the damper closed (vertical).

Ol' Grady's been busier than a cat covering stuff on a marble floor.

Old 11-07-10, 03:58 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TtTankEngine
Hi Grady,

Nice to hear from you. How have you been? Yes, I'm working on the horizontal Thermo-Pride again. I checked the damper for plumb and level, as Furd suggested, and made the necessary adjustments. I then adjusted the damper weight until I got the best draft reading on my manometer, which is when the door is vertical. Is that the right way to adjust it? Or, should I move the weight so that the door swings in ever so slightly?

After you adjust the barometric damper take a quick peek in inspection door and see how the flame pattern look like it should be yellowish colour without any smoke but if very bright yellow almost white or dark yellow to orange colour then the burner need main air door adjustment { bright Yellow to whiteish mean too much air while dark yellow to ornage / red mean not engouh air }

Merci.
Marc

Old 11-10-10, 05:46 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I got it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: