Damper on oil furnace broken-keep open or closed?

Old 11-08-10, 08:31 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Damper on oil furnace broken-keep open or closed?

I recently had a brand new Bryant oil-furnace installed in September. I was downstairs doing laundry when I looked up and just glanced at the Damper. I noticed that it was off of it's hinge on the left side. Upon looking further, I noticed that there was no hinge at all! The part to allow the damper to swing on the left side was non-existant and it was stuck partially shut (not all the way) and crooked.

I contacted the heating contractor and explained the situation. Knowing it was just intalled less than 60 days ago, I should not have to pay for any parts OR labor. Whats funny is that if the part was originally there when they installed it, I would see it laying in the damper stack somewhere but I see no loose parts.

My question is, they cannot come out for another 2 days (Wednesday). My heater is working and needs to be on, for I live in the Northeast. I need to know where I should set the damper so it runs ok until they get here to fix it. Should I keep it closed? Open? Half and half?

Thanks!

Old 11-08-10, 07:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
You certainly don't want it fully open. Even partially open could cause draft issues until the chimney warms up. Fully closed will cause excessive heat loss up the chimney but as a "lesser of the evils" that's where I'd suggest leaving it.

Old 11-08-10, 08:03 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
After the repair I'd start interviewing for a new service company. This kind of failure on a new installation (and 60 days IS new) should have triggered an immediate response, even after "normal" business hours.

Old 11-08-10, 08:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
After the repair I'd start interviewing for a new service company. This kind of failure on a new installation (and 60 days IS new) should have triggered an immediate response, even after "normal" business hours.
Couldn't agree more. Crap like this is totally unexcusable. I wouldn't be surprised if the "contractor" subbed the install to a company who "specializes" in installations. No pride, no resposibility for service, just git-er dun, get out, & get paid. The contractor should at least have the duty for a post installation inspection & the decency to respond proptly to a problem. Needless to say, this kind of stuff makes my blood boil.

Old 11-08-10, 10:57 PM
F
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree with Furd and Grady that was no excuse for the contractor to leave the part hanging like that at all.

They should have a follow up inspecton just like what I do with my electrical service I do have follow up inspecton to make sure everything is working properly sometime it may have minor issue to take care of it.

60 days is practally a brand new and that contractor have to come back and deal with it.

Merci.
Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: