Heat upstairs not downstairs, boiler

Old 11-09-10, 10:44 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat upstairs not downstairs, boiler

Hiya. I have a Valliant residential gas boiler furnace with 2 taco zone valves. One for upstairs, one for downstairs. The valves are working fine. I noticed yesterday the downstairs in my home wasnt warming up, but the upstairs was. I searched the internet for reasons why. It appears the cartridge circulating pump isnt working. I felt the pump when the furnace was running several times. It doesnt feel like its spinning. Now I have to figure out if its the pump or a switch that turns the pump on. As I looked in the furnace I did notice a relay that is buzzing loudly. I think its the starter relay. It wasnt directly wired to the pump. The pump is wired to a Honeywell controller unit. Anyway thats where Im at. I'd hate to install a new pump only to find out its a switch. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who read my post for your time.

Old 11-09-10, 05:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Heat upstairs, none downstairs

Since you are getting heat upstairs the circulator is probably not the problem. The circulator works for both up & down stairs.

How do you know the valve is working? Does the pipe get hot downstream of the valve?
You could also have an air blockage downstairs.
Pictures of the boiler & nearby piping always help. You can post them on a photo hosting & sharing website & provide a link here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: