Honeywell VR8204 H 1048 pilot light wont work

Old 11-10-10, 07:54 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell VR8204 H 1048 pilot light wont work

Hello,

Long Version - I have a Honeywell VR8204 pilot light on my furnace isn't working properly. I bought my first house in march - which had been vacant for almost 2 years. When we kicked on the heater everything seemed fine. The pilot light went out a few times, but I get it relit, I shrugged it off since summer was coming. All summer A/C worked fine no problems. The heater has been on a month or two now, an I'm getting the pilot light problem again. This time, I cannot get it to light so easy. I try and relight how it says too but it doesn't fire up. I have to shut it all off and wait 5+ minutes before trying again, and it doesn't always fire up on the first shot. When it fires properly, I hear a lot of ticking(pilot trying to light), but when it doesn't light, it just clicks once. Is my auto lighter shot?

Short Version - VR8204 pilot wont stay lit. I try and relight, and the auto lighter only clicks once and it fails to light. When it works, it clicks a bunch of times and lights. Tried to dust out and dirt/dust that would be on the pilot housing, but I think it might be the auto pilot lighter.

Its going to get cold real quick here in Cheyenne WY and I need to get this fixed. I called around to HVAC shops and at a minimum it will be $70 an hour, and who knows what the problem is. Any idea's?

Old 11-10-10, 08:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm supposing you have an intermittent pilot ignition system with a Honeywell 8610 ignition control?

That's a highly reliable module. Odds are the pilot burner needs to be disassembled and the pilot burner and pilot orifice cleaned.

What does the pilot flame look like? If it has yellow tips or a soft, lazy blue flame, it needs to be cleaned. If it has a sharp flame like a small blowtorch, it's probably OK.

Old 11-10-10, 10:50 AM
N
The ignition is the Honeywell VR8200 H 1048, the actual furnace is a Lennex C23-41WFC

Old 11-10-10, 11:39 AM
Well, that's the model number of the gas valve, not the ignition module.

You need to describe the appearance of the pilot flame as described in my last post.

Odds are the pilot burner needs to be taken apart and the pilot burner and pilot orifice cleaned.

Old 11-10-10, 11:52 AM
N
more of a lazy blue flame I think - very small space to see.

intermittent pilot ignition control, G776RGD-11, or 63K2401 - Any of those numbers work?

Old 11-10-10, 12:38 PM
A soft lazy flame suggests a pilot burner and orifice that need to be cleaned, and a likely source of the problem you describe.

Clean the pilot and then see what happens. It's maintenance that needs to be done in any case.

Old 11-10-10, 04:30 PM
N
I have not found anything that tells me HOW to clean the hole. Is there a better service manual that tells how? I just have the basic manual that came with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: