Want to add second Oil tank...

Old 11-11-10, 09:01 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to add second Oil tank...

Greetings all. Brand new here and not sure if this is best posted here or in the plumbing forum but I am going to start here.

Currently have oil fired heat/hot water boiler with a single 275 Gal Above Ground in the basement tank storing #2 Heating Oil. I would like to add a second similar tank to the installation adjoining the original tank. Specifically 275 Gal above ground indoor tank.

Any advice on what I might be looking at to add this second tank? Is it possible to install it in series with the original, etc?

Any and all info and advice deeply appreciated.

Old 11-11-10, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Second oil tank

Jack,
Unless you have a real need for a second tank, don't do it. Here's why:

Oil degrades in storage meaning you have more sludge & thus more chance for trouble. In an ideal world if you could get a delivery every few days & only store enough oil to hold you thru, you'd be getting nice fresh fuel.

Unless there is some kind of safety on both tanks, if one fails (leaks) you are going to drain BOTH tanks if they are tied together at the bottom as most dual tank setups are.

Old 11-12-10, 10:57 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
To add to what Grady wrote there is also a distinct possibility that your homeowner's insurance has a limit on how much oil you can have in your basement and in many cases you cannot have in excess of 300 gallons. Local fire codes will probably also have a word or two about multiple tanks or a maximum amount of oil.

Old 11-12-10, 12:14 PM
J
Thanks for your inputs. Those are exactly the types of observations I was hoping to get. Things I hadnt even thought of. I will do a little more homework on this. Thanks.

Old 11-13-10, 12:29 AM
F
If I recall the Wisconsin code about the fuel tank in the resdnetail they are limited to 300 gallons or less unless you have outdoor tank or buried tank { one of the two } and in France most resdentail are limited to 1200 liters { apx 315 gallons } on larger resdentails area but smaller one most use 500 liters { apx 132 gal } Anything larger will go outside either above ground or underground double walled tanks.

Commercal locations are diffrent story.

Merci.
Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: