Carrier furnace heater won't turn on

Old 11-14-10, 08:15 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier furnace heater won't turn on

I just came home from vacation to a cold house. I went to turn on my heater and it fired up and started blowing air. After a few seconds, could have been a minute, it stopped and my thermostat was flashing the 'flame' light which indicates the heater is on. I realized that I had forgotten to turn on the gas at the side of my house (I always turn it off if I'm gone for any length of time). After turning the gas back on, the flame on the thermostat was still blinking but the heater/blower was not turning on. I can set the fan to 'on' and it comes on. I can start the A/C just fine but the furnace won't startup.

Any pointers?

Old 11-14-10, 09:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
If it was made before 1993 it may need the pilot lit.
If it is newer, it should have a blinking LED to help troubleshoot the problem.

An 80% fixed speed example...

Do you know the model number?

Old 11-14-10, 09:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Try turning the power to the furnace off for a few seconds, then on again.

If the furnace fails to light it will probably go into a lockout mode and may not try to light until reset like that.

Old 11-14-10, 09:23 PM
E
The heater was installed in 2003 so it has an auto pilot light. I will try and disconnect the power for a minutes or so to see what happens.

Old 11-14-10, 11:42 PM
Ummm. I would expect a Carrier furnace installed in 2003 to have a hot surface ignitor that glows white hot to light the gas.

Carrier furnaces from the 1970s to early 1990s typically had a Carrier three wire pilot that was lit by a spark each time the thermostat called for heat.

You need to look carefully to determine what you have.

Take the cover off the furnace so you can see what is happening when the thermostat is turned up. And please report the model and serial number of the furnace from the rating plate in the burner compartment.

Old 01-20-12, 10:05 AM
S
Unhappy Carrier furnace will not light or heat

First time on forum so appreciate your help and patience. We have a carrier furnace in attic model 58rav090-LC. 2 mornings ago we woke up to a very cold house with no heater working. I called a company out and tech determined it was either the blower or the circuit panel board. His suggestion without much effort was to replace entire furnace with new model. Our home was built in 1995.

Can't afford new unit so hoping to fix it myself if possible. Found instruction to bypass blower at circuit panel and was able to get blower fan to run so assumed it is the circuit board. Also was able to run self test and witnessed all functions work to light furnace.

Purchased new circuit board, carrier part ces0110057-02 and installed per instructions. Once complete the small red light on the panel flashes non stop and blower motor comes on but nothing else fires. It says if the lite flashes non stop it could be a twinning issue or polarity problem. The unit s a single so can't be that. I replaced all wires just as on original panel so at a loss and need help.

Old 01-20-12, 10:13 AM
Please don't piggyback on an old thread --- it rapidly becomes confusing.

Old 01-20-12, 11:48 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by energy2spare
I just came home from vacation to a cold house. I went to turn on my heater and it fired up and started blowing air. After a few seconds, could have been a minute, it stopped and my thermostat was flashing the 'flame' light which indicates the heater is on. I realized that I had forgotten to turn on the gas at the side of my house (I always turn it off if I'm gone for any length of time). After turning the gas back on, the flame on the thermostat was still blinking but the heater/blower was not turning on. I can set the fan to 'on' and it comes on. I can start the A/C just fine but the furnace won't startup.

Any pointers?

Cancel my thoughts...........................

Old 01-20-12, 10:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Wow a 1995 RAV with the old edge pin connector? I'd have guessed that the 3rd and fourth digits of the serial number are 93 or 94 (indicating the year).

24VAC Common (C) to neutral should read less than 3VAC.

Is the inside of the edge pin connector harness very green and corroded?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: