Carrier Weathermaker 9200 Issue

Old 11-16-10, 09:05 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier Weathermaker 9200 Issue

Hello, we have a Weathermaker 9200 furnace and we recently turned it on for the cold season. When we first turned it on we had an issue where the furnace was not kicking on. It would act like it was going to, it was running but the flame was not on and neither was the fan. Just the black motor inside would run. I turned off the power to the furnance and the gas and let it rest for about 5 minutes and turned the gas back on and then the power back on. It cycled for 90 seconds and then the furnace came back on and has been running normally ever since (about 5-6 weeks). Today the furnace was working when I came home from work, but then at about 9:00pm I noticed that the thermostat said 64 and it was set at 68. The thermostat indicated (it has a flame on it) that the furnace should be running, but it wasn't. I tried to reset it again but it didn't work. I did it 2 more times and then it finally worked. It ran normally, but then when it should have kicked on it did the same thing again. I did noticed that there was a code coming on of 31. Any suggestions as to what may be wrong? Normally it works great and we have no issues. As I said, the black motor inside is running even when the heat and fan isn't.

Old 11-16-10, 10:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The Carrier 3-1 code indicates the pressure switch is opening, which is consistent with your description of the operation of the furnace.

This suggests that the furnace something is impairing the flow of combustion air into, through and out the furnace vent system.

Please don't bother replacing the pressure switch, which is the problem less than 5% of the time.

You need a good furnace repairman who can analyze what is happening and work through the many possible problems until the actual problem is identified.

You can identify a competent repairman because he will have and use a manometer to measure the pressure being applied to the pressure switch.

Frankly, this really isn't a good prospect for a DIY repair.

Old 11-23-10, 12:28 PM
J
Ewin2002, did you get your furnace fixed? I have the same furnace with the same symptoms. It would work off and on over the last few years until it finally failed totally last night at the coldest time of the year. I love new technology--the furnace it replaced worked a lot better over its 47 year life span than this newer energy efficient one.

Update: Out of the blue the furnace just came on by itself. Is it a good idea to have a furnace repairman come over with the furnace working? Or should I wait until if fails again? I repair TV's for a living so I would prefer to fix the furnace myself if I can as I am not the typical DIYer.

Last edited by jumpy27; 11-23-10 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-23-10, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Jumpy,

I'd like to suggest starting a new thread. It becomes confusing mixing different problems together on one thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: