Carrier Gas Furnace pilot flame went off twice

Old 11-16-10, 11:20 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier Gas Furnace pilot flame went off twice

Hi,
My Carrier Gas Furnace model # is 58GP-125-GA. It blew cold air when I woke up last Monday morning. I found that the pilot flame went off, the burners did not working and the blower was keeping running due to the room temperature was below the setting. I turned switch on the gas valve (I am not sure it is a gas valve or not, model # is VR8200H 1228) to "Pilot" position, press the button down, ignited the pilot flame and held the button for about one minute. While the pilot flame remained on, I turned switch on the gas valve to "On" position, then the burners and blower were working fine.

Unfortunately, when I woke up this morning, the pilot flame went off again and the blower sent cold air into furnace as burners did not burning. I have repeated what I did as last time, the furnace is working as normal again. How can I fix this problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-10, 11:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The manual for your furnace is at

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...8gp,gs-2si.pdf

You have a standing pilot furnace.

The probability is that the pilot outages are caused by a pilot orifice and pilot burner that need to be taken apart and cleaned.

The pilot burner flame ought to look like a small blowtorch --- a sharp blue flame that is focussed on the thermocouple and is relatively resistant to being blown around ---or out.

When the pilot burner and pilot orifice get dirty, the flame looks and acts increasingly like a candle flame, which is easily blown around and out and may have yellow tips and may not be focused on the thermocouple.

You need to remove, disassemble and clean the pilot burner, and remove the pilot orifice and clean it. To get to the pilot orifice remove the pilot tubing from the bottom of the pilot burner where it connects with a brass compression fitting.

Odds are 65% or so that will solve the problem.

Old 11-18-10, 07:50 PM
A
SeattlePioneer,

I will get the pilot orifice and burner cleaned as per your instruction and update here.

Thanks for your info.

Old 11-18-10, 08:16 PM
A
SeattlePioneer,

This is my first time to clean the pilot orifice and burner, do I need special tool or cleaner? Also I feel that when pilot flame went off and even blower keeping running, the gas valve will not open, another word, the gas will not be come out, is it right?

Thanks

Old 11-18-10, 09:24 PM
Once the pilot has been out a couple of minutes the electruic gas valve shuts gas off to the pilot.

Still, shutting off the manual gas valve is a good idea.

Most pilot orifices are easily cleaned with the wire from a wire brush, and the pilot burner can be blown out with lung power and cleaned using a wire brush.

Old 11-19-10, 02:38 PM
A
I have cleaned the pilot tips and the flame looks stronger than before. But I haven't cleaned the pilot orifice. I can not unscrew the brass compression fitting from the bottom of the pilot burner because it's too tight. Any better idea to remove it?

Thanks

Old 11-19-10, 04:17 PM
Try harder.

Hold the pilot burner with a wrench and use a pair of pliers to hold the pilot burner and a 7/16" open end wrench on the brass compression fitting at the bottom of the pilot burner.

In years of cleaning pilot burners I never had a compression fitting I couldn't get out.

Old 11-19-10, 08:13 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Leave the pilot tubing in the orifice(only finger tight) when you attempt to unscrew the orifice if the orifice has a female to male pilot tubing. The reason: easy to egg shape the orifice when removing if it is to tight. I carried a male fitting in my pocket for many many years just for that reason.

Old 11-21-10, 03:53 PM
A
Thanks for your info. I have unscrewed the fitting from the pilot burner and got the orifice cleaned. The pilot frame is good now.

I have one more question for the fresh air inlet at the bottom of the furnace: the furnace gets the fresh air to help burning, if the air pressure at the basement is less than the pressure outside of the house, the cold air will come in. I had the cold air most of time last winter, but this winter my basement is much warmer, I checked the fresh air inlet of the furnace, no cold air comes in (I checked fresh air inlet at the outside of the house to make sure the snow does not block the inlet). Why the cold fresh air does not come in now?

Old 11-21-10, 04:06 PM
Usually you only need a fresh air inlet to the vicinity of the furnace if it's in a "confined space." If the furnace is located in a more or less undivided basement, it's probably not in a confined space.

If it's not in a confined space, the idea and experience is that in most cases sufficient combustion air will infiltrate the space to meet the needs of the furnace.

You can Google up "confined space" and get a lot more information on this if you wish.

About 95% of DIYers will run out and replace the thermocouple when the kind of problem you had appears, but a bad thermocouple is the problem only 15% of the time or so. Usually it's the pilot burner and orifice that need to be cleaned as you discovered here.

Old 11-23-10, 12:12 AM
A
I am happy I did not call service person to come, otherwise I will pay hundreds of bucks. Your detailed instruction is so valuable and I learned. I really appreciate what you did for me.

Also thanks for your reply regarding the fresh air.