Advice on heating small cabin

Old 11-19-10, 07:18 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice on heating small cabin

I am just completing a small log cabin and it's time to look for a heating solution. I will be living full time in the cabin, it is only 12 x 24 but has a 18ft high roof.I am going back and forth between a monitor heater or a propane unit (the more permanent units, not the pick up and put anywhere jobs). One concern will be delivering fuel to the cabin because it is located on a logging road that isn't always easy to access when the weather gets bad. Another question, which is cheaper to operate, a propane or a kerosene unit?
Any advice and suggestions appreciated!
Jimmy

P.S. I am also putting in a wood stove but only as a back up

Old 11-19-10, 11:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 759 Posts
Any special reason your not considering wood for your main source of heat?

Gas burns cleaner than kero. I suspect you'll need a fuel tank big enough to get you thru the winter.

Old 11-19-10, 05:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Gas does indeed burn cleaner than kero but if operating cost is a concern, as it seems to be, the kerosene (at least in my area) would be considerably cheaper.
Something else to consider might be the stability of the electric supply. Being in a remote area you could be subject to power outages & have to rely on a generator. Small generators are notorious for "dirty" power & the electronics in a Monitor might not like it. Where the simple controls of a propane fired space heater would be much more dependable.

Old 11-20-10, 07:24 AM
J
Price is a concern, less money is always better And that answers my main question, which is cheaper between kerosene and propane to operate. I am planning on getting a good wood stove (those Jotul stoves are nice!) because there is pretty much a endless supply of wood fuel here, the reason I'm using the wood stove as a back up is because I am frequently gone for 12 hours at a time and the thought of coming home to an icy cabin and lighting a fire every night sounds like it might get old after a while. I have never used gas heating and was just curious if one type might be better than another for my particular situation. Thanks again!

Old 11-21-10, 06:24 PM
J
I purchased a monitor 2400 for the cabin today, probably more heater than I need but at least I know I'll be toasty this winter. Thanks for the help!

Old 11-22-10, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Monitor

If you will be installing it yourself, be sure to follow the installation instructions exactly. It's been many years since I've worked on one but they were, & presumably still are, nice equipment which worked very well IF installed right & fed clean, dry kerosene. They don't like ANY water.

Old 11-22-10, 08:36 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I have a Monitor Kenorsne heater at one of my house and it work very well the unit itself is very dependable as long you have clean fuel supply they work the best with Kenornse but in a pintch you can use #1 ULSD or #1 fuel oil { they are little harder on burner chamber plus may have some soot during start up or max heat setting }

Some of Monitors do have extreal tank adpator which I have and it tied with 200 Liter kenosne tank that last me little over couple weeks on low / med setting.

Merci.
Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: