Old Payne Floor Hearter... went boom and wont start again!

Old 11-20-10, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Old Payne Floor Hearter... went boom and wont start again!

[B]So last spring I turned up the thermostat and within about 30 seconds there was a loud boom and the floor kinda shook. The heater would not light, the pilot was out and will not light at all.
Tried several times after... no luck.
The unit has the name Payne on the front, the Model #63FF/DRI... Serial # 30-5190... BTU IN = 63.000 BTU OUT = 44.100... and it has the name Superflo on the plate inside as well.
The house was built in the 20's or 30's... but updated around the 50's. We have only been here 7yrs.
The only other problem we have had with this unit is the pilot light would get blown out because the little pilot swing door was left open.
There is a crawl space under the house and when the wind gets really bad it had blown out the pilot. And I noticed the little door was open.
But other than that... it has been a champ. We always vacuum it out before lighting every year.
That is about it... if anyone knows where we might start on fixing it ourselves that would be great.
Thanks!
... jj ... [B]

Old 11-20-10, 07:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
More than likely the pilot burner and pilot orifice are dirty and need to be cleaned.

When you vacuum the furnace, do you remove the top grate and pull out the baffles under the floor level?

Old floor furnaces can do a good job of heating but maintenance tends to be neglected. You should have a good repairman inspect the furnace, vent connector and chimney and clean the burners, pilot burner and pilot orifice.

It should take about an hours time to do the job.

Look for someone who likes to repair equipment rather than sell you new stuff, because a lot of outfits might refuse to work on it saying it's "too old" and should be replaced.

It's not "too old" unless there's a real reason, such as a heat exchanger that's cracked or holed.

Old 11-20-10, 08:44 PM
Thanks Seattle...
I am not sure how far my hubby goes in vacuuming it... I will ask and let him know what you said.
But I guess I would wonder if them being dirty and yet it worked all last season, didnt blow out till spring, shouldnt it have given us the problem upon lighting at first in the fall??
And would it make a large boom like that... sounded like when gas gets trapped and ignites suddenly.

I did price out the heat exchanger... YIKES!! $756...
In fact most any part for this is over $200... so I just wonder if it would be worth getting a newer unit... maybe get a rebate of some sort. All I know at this point... I am Cold!
No fireplace either... stupid California laws, so cant build one now. Well a wood burning one at least.

Old 11-21-10, 11:03 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Where in CA are you?? Does PG&E serve your area?

Old 11-21-10, 04:35 PM
Hey mbk3... we are in central calif... pge is our gas provider.
But not too sure they would 'fix' it and then whether or not I would get someone that was familiar with the older furnaces.
Hoping we can find someone local that will come look.
But was just hoping that we could figure it out ourselves... save money! In the same boat as most... not a lot of the $$$ in this house!
... jj ...

Old 11-21-10, 07:41 PM
M
I would give them a call, they DO work on floor furnaces, provided there is access. Might be something as simple as a dirty pilot, which this sounds like because of the noise.

Old 11-21-10, 08:53 PM
I used to work as a gas utility repairman ---we saw every old piece of equipment in town. Unlike a lot of contractors we didn't try to sell people new equipment they didn't need.

Old 11-22-10, 09:38 PM
Well thank you guys for your input... I will contact them first and see what they say.
That would be awesome if they could fix it!
The fact it made the big boom worried me that it was a 'broken' part. And that the pilot light wont even catch a flame... in fact it blows it out when you put the match down there.

I found the old pamphlet that came with this furnace... it was the installation instructions. It is dated 1953.
Thanks again... gives me some hope.
... jj ...

Old 11-22-10, 09:47 PM
M
They won't replace parts, however I have worked on hundreds of them and rarely was a part necessary to get them going. However doesn't mean you won't need something. Wishing you the best

Old 11-24-10, 10:27 PM
Thanks mbk3... I will keep that good thought!! haha
Happy Thanksgiving all!!! ... jj ...

Old 11-26-10, 11:47 AM
M
Hope you had a nice and warm Thanksgiving. Keep us posted, please

Old 11-28-10, 10:56 PM
will do... just as soon as we have someone look at it!!
hasnt been too awefully cold... but it would still be nice :-)

Old 02-08-11, 03:44 PM
R
Anyone know where Payne heat exchanger can be purchased?

I have been told that my circa 1930's floor furnace heat exchanger is rotted out. Does anyone know where such a part can be purchased?

Old 02-08-11, 05:10 PM
J
Originally Posted by jessejane View Post
Well thank you guys for your input... I will contact them first and see what they say.
That would be awesome if they could fix it!
The fact it made the big boom worried me that it was a 'broken' part. And that the pilot light wont even catch a flame... in fact it blows it out when you put the match down there.

I found the old pamphlet that came with this furnace... it was the installation instructions. It is dated 1953.
Thanks again... gives me some hope.
... jj ...
If a furnace made a "big boom" why on earth would you get down next to it and try to relight it without calling a professional to come out and make sure it's safe first?????????????????

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: