Help our 50 year old gas floor furnace is cracked and unrepairable

Old 11-20-10, 10:41 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help our 50 year old gas floor furnace is cracked and unrepairable

Our 50 year old gas floor furnace is unrepairable and we can't afford central air as the repairman suggested. It also looks like even a new gas floor furnace is over $1000 which is out of the question. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best inexpensive way to heat our 1000 square foot house. There was no vents to the back bedrooms so the only room that was very warm at all was the living room.
I have seen these big portable infrared heaters and I wonder how well they work.
I need something by next thursday supposed to be very cold Thanks

Old 11-21-10, 08:26 AM
S
what area of the country are you located in? do you have access to chimney? A vented space heater is a possibility. A wall furnace is another possibility.

Old 11-21-10, 10:00 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Many times I have seen wall furnaces replace floor furnaces

Old 11-21-10, 12:02 PM
S
I'm in amarillo tx we get the best of both worlds with freezing temperatures and horrible heat. The plumber didn't suggest a wall furnace I'm sure he wanted me to go with central air and heat to help him out.
I was just hoping to find something that plugs in and I can forget about it.
We''ll have to look into the wall heater. Thanks

Old 11-22-10, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I really doubt if you'll find any permanent heating replacement much less than $1000. Electric space heaters aren't a long-term solution, and assuming you have an older home, your electric service probably isn't adequate for more than a couple space heaters anyway. Don't waste your money on those "miracle" infrared electric space heaters in the wooden box! They don't put out any more heat than any other 1,500 watt electric heater.

Although it isn't cheap, perhaps the best solution for a small house without any existing ductwork would be a mini-split heatpump system. Another solution would be a direct vent (through the wall) cabinet wall heater. Don't cheap-out and get an unvented gas space heater, as these are hazardous to your health.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: