Nordyne Gas furnace not coming on

Old 11-21-10, 04:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nordyne Gas furnace not coming on

nordyne model cmh72-a serial 1d0788-00707 Wall furnace. It worked ok last night but now its not coming on no matter how high i set the t-stat. I turn the t-stat off then back on it clicks but nothing happens. The Pilot light is on. The t-stat is made by LUX and is model PSP511LA uses 2 AA batterys and they are not dead is everything is working. I got set to hold at 70 and when my mom got up this morning the temp inside was 64. The furnace comes on at 68 off at 72. I put the t-stat all the way up to 80 and it won't come on. I turned the power switch inside the furnace on and off no luck. Any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-10, 05:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have an AC voltmeter?

I'd start by verifying that you have 120 VAC at the furnace, and then 24 VAC between the C and R terminals on the furnace.

I'm not abloe to find material describing this furnace. Does the pilot light stay on all the time or does it light only when the thermostat calls for heat?

Also, please post the make and model of the electric gas valve.

Old 11-21-10, 08:26 PM
Pliot is on all the time gas valve model 36C67 type 176. Im getting 120 volts past the switch so power is getting to the transformer but measuring the 2 blue wires on the valve nothing. I measure some of the contacts on the time delay and the needle barely moves. the transformer was replace at least before i moved in as the old one was left inside resting on the shelf.here are some pics

Old 11-21-10, 10:25 PM
Are you getting 24 VAC from C to R?

from C to W when the thermostat is turned up?

It would be helpful if you can take a useable picture of the circuit diagram.

Old 11-22-10, 01:51 AM
i don't see c to r or c w labeled anywhere on the valve. I measured the 2 blue wires on the valve then each blue wire and the middle prong nothing. Diagram is faded but will try tomorrow.

Old 11-22-10, 12:07 PM
Well its not the transformer. The romex that goes to the furnace is shorting out in the wall. Its not even on its own circuit. The trailer park maintenance person is going to have to install a split 20 amp breaker as the furnace power is coming off of a outlet in the bathroom. So hes going to run new romex from the new circuit in the box to the furnace and re-wire the bathroom outlet. It's shorting out as he pulled on the wires in the wall and the furnace clicked on. who ever wired it just attached the furnace wires to the romex and shoved it into the wall.

Old 11-22-10, 02:45 PM
Makes you wonder what else they did to that trailer - doesn't it? Smacks of no regards for other people. Hope you do not have aluminum wiring on top of this.

Old 11-22-10, 07:30 PM
no all copper 12/2 romex with ground. I doubt it was built from the factory this way. i bet as things broke either all the people who lived in this trailer or the a-hole lazy ass handyman they had who has since been fired for being lazy and rude.

Old 11-22-10, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
Do you have an AC voltmeter?

I'd start by verifying that you have 120 VAC at the furnace

That turned out to be good advice!

I'm supposing that you didn't have a short circuit, but rather a poor electrical connection that was only supplying power to the furnace erratically.

Of course, that connection should have been made in an electrical junction box to protect against a fire being started with just that kind of poor, arcing connection.

Old 11-24-10, 01:37 PM
Well it's on it's own circuit and the furnace now works but the idots never came back to finish installing the other outlets. the bathroom outlet is dangling so i can't run the washer and the hallway light is also hanging cause they were supposed to comeback today to install a box. I'm tired of this BS I'll do myself screw it.