Noisy return air

Old 12-18-00, 10:52 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a new natural gas forced air furnace. The return air is very noisy and the noise seems like it is from air flowing through the register, not noise from the furnace fan or ducts creaking. If I "T" off the 18" duct from the furnace to the return air register and install a second return air register will that solve the problem? Will I need to get the furnace re-balanced? Are there return air registers that are quieter than others?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-00, 01:58 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Filter

Was your air filter from old unit installed in the furnace or external?Did you have the noise with old unit?The fan speed or cfm's from new furnace maybe more than the original.You can slow the fan speed down;or as you suggested add a second return duct.Air balance...just adjust your supply diffusers for the amount you want in each room.A generic supply diffuser is all you need.PDF

Old 12-18-00, 03:27 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you have a single return.Is it 18" round pipe? An 18" round is good for at least 2000cfm or 5 tons of a/c. Is it a filter grill? Is the furnace a gas pack? or split system? Did you upgrade heat and a/c with exsisting duct work? If so, give old unit and new unit ratings. Your moving alot of air to increase register noise enough to be annoying, for a same btu/tonnage unit. Spliting the return line may cut down on the noise.

Old 12-19-00, 10:51 AM
Visiting Guest
PDF and fjrachel, Thanks for your replies. Its a new furnace in a new house, so all the installation is new by a hvac contractor who I was not very happy with and I plan to finish the work myself. The return is a single 18" round duct to a 20 x 20 return register with a filter in it. The furnace is a Bryant 90 plus 120,000 BTU and there are 17 supply vents. There is no a/c. schoon

Old 12-19-00, 04:53 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Your return grill is definitly undersized. A 20X20 filter grill will only allow approx. 1100cfm. What is the sq.ft. of the house? 120,000 btu unit is rather large and can move 2000cfm. Another 20X20 filter grill will cut down on the noise. Did your HVAC contractor do a heat load calculation on your home?