Old.... really old.. heater

Old 11-24-10, 12:59 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old.... really old.. heater

apparently made by Holly Division, Model 60CFWN-2. I need help identifying a part, the part in question is in this pic. I need to know what the part w/ the red label is, and is it something that is not "integrated" some how into a more modern valve? or is this part something completely different then what I think it is.. please help.

Old 11-24-10, 01:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The part that says "warning" on it is the pilot safety control that has the thermocouple and pilot burner tubing to it.

The red part is probably a separate gas pressure regulator.

The blue part is a manual shutoff.

And yes, a modern combination gas valve combines those functions and more into one part.

You'd have the incoming gas supply, a manual shutoff valve and the combination gas valve --- that's it.

That equipment looks like it's been badly neglected. It looks like it badly needs cleaning and the heat exchangers and such inspected for holes, cracks or other defects.

Old 11-24-10, 02:59 PM
F
thank you, thats what I needed to know. Yes it has been neglected, it's in a rental. the "gas pressure regulator" makes a humming or buzzing sound that it didn't used to, and works in what seems to be an intermittent fashion..

Is there any particular replacement that isn't too expensive that you could recommend or link to?

Old 11-24-10, 03:25 PM
Ummm. If it's humming it's probably the electric gas valve4 rather than the regulator, especially if it has two wires coming from it.

Presuming it does have two wires coming from it, you need to measure the voltage being applied to it. Presumably the voltage appears when the thermostat is calling for heat.

What problem are you having with the equipment?

Since it's a rental, why isn't tyhe landlord taking care of any problems, including past dues cleaning and maintenance on the equipment?

And I'm supposing this is propane equipment?

Old 11-24-10, 03:31 PM
F
It does indeed have 2 wires coming from it, and I originally though it was an electric gas valve. On the red label, it reads 120v, 60 Cycles (I'm guessing that is hertz). When the thermostat is calling for heat I would then assume I should get a 120v reading from it using a multimeter correct? This is natural gas equipment btw.

The landlord makes maintenance of virtually everything responsibility of the tenant, and previous tenants were less inclined to actually maintain things properly.

Old 11-24-10, 05:10 PM
Most state landlord tenant laws don't permit residential landlords to burden tenants with the costs of maintaining and repairing equipment like a furnace even if that is explicitly a part of a lease or rental agreement. Putting such a provision in the lease would merely be unequivocal evidence of illegal and bad faith behavior by the landlord.

I don't know if the gas controls need replacement. The electric gas valve is a 12o VAC main burner gas valve control based on your description of what's on the part.

Frankly, replacing such parts is not a good DIY project, and the equipment badly needs cleaning, maintenance and inspection by a competent repairman.

If I were you my first choice would be to investigate your state landlord tenant laws. It may be that the landlord can make residential tenants make such repairs, but I'd investigate that to find out for sure.

Frankly, any landlord who would turn a tenant loose on their furnace is a moron, in my opinion. And I'm speaking as both a furnace repairman and a landlord with decades of experience in both areas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: