Trane XL 90 Exhaust/ fresh air fan question

Old 11-29-10, 09:50 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XL 90 Exhaust/ fresh air fan question

My Trane XL 90 Exhaust/fresh air fan has a bad fan blade unit on the fresh air side. I hear what sounds like ball bearings hitting against the plastic as the fan noisily rotates. I can see on the exhaust side the fan unit attaches to the motor shaft. However, the motor is up against the brown/tan plastic fresh air housing, and I cannot see if the fan blade/bearing unit attaches in a similar manner on the fresh air intake side.

Questions: 1 ) Can I replace the bearings on the fresh air fan side?
2) Is the blade/bearings one unit?
3) How/Where will I find the part number/part? (The motor is Franklin
Electric).
4) What has to be removed to get to this fan blade unit? Fresh Air side
of motor? Entire Motor? More?
Thanks,

Egensman

Old 11-29-10, 10:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Usually the smart move is to replace the inducer fan assembly as a whole, which is available as a single unit from a Carrier distributor or on the internet.

Old 11-29-10, 03:02 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Inducer Fan Motor

Is replacing the inducer fan motor something I can do, or is it one of those projects I'll wish I had never tried? I'm reasonably handy with repairs, but I don't immediately see precisely how to remove the current unit. Thanks Egensman

Old 11-29-10, 05:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The inducer assembly is the motor, a new fan and the parts that fasten the assembly to the furnace. The advantage of that is that the job usually amounts to unbolting and removing the old assembly and bolting in the new and connecting up the wiring

Whether that's a task for you to do is still something you need to judge. Look carefully at the furnace to see how the old assembly is attached. You can remove the old assembly to see how it comes out and goes back in if you wish. If you find that difficult or intimidating, you may want to look for help in doing the job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: