Trane XL80 Blower

Old 11-30-10, 10:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XL80 Blower

Hi,

I have a Trane XL80 (early '90's) & noticed the other day it wasn't working. The igniter and inducer motor were running, but it wasn't getting gas so the igniter shut down while the inducer motor continued to run. I replaced the gas valve (still didn't work) and then the control board.

Now the inducer motor runs, the gas supply works, and the igniter fires. It seems to start up fine & warms up; but the blower motor doesn't come on to supply air to the vent system. It runs like this for a minute or so, and then the gas turns off while the inducer motor continues to run. It cycles through like this repeatedly without the blower motor.

I searched for similar blower motor issues, but am still not sure which direction to go now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-10, 10:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try turning the fan wheel to see if it turns freely. If it's stiff, it may be past due for oiling.

Is the fan motor hot or does it hum, indicating that it's powered and trying to start? If so, give the fan wheel a push to see if it will start. If that gets it started you probably need a new starting capacitor.

If no hum or heat, check for 120 VAC power at the circuit board and the motor when the fan should be powered up.

A fan motor incorrectly wired when you changed the circuit board might be the problem.

[You decided against changing out the fan motor?]

Old 11-30-10, 10:57 AM
I hadn't looked at the motor since the original problem was the gas supply, but was going to look at it today as I ran out of time last night.

I went through the wiring a few times to make sure I had the correct contacts (replaced a White Rodgers board with a Honeywell), but will go through it again and check voltage.

Thanks for the direction - I'll update as to how it goes.

Old 12-02-10, 09:24 AM
To put this thread to rest...

Tested the wiring to the blower motor, and found that a wire had become disconnected from a limit switch. When replacing the gas valve & board, I had held some of the wires out of the way, and that one must have come loose causing the additional blower issue.

The furnace works perfect now. I wish all repairs were this simple.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Old 12-02-10, 09:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
If no hum or heat, check for 120 VAC power at the circuit board and the motor when the fan should be powered up.

A fan motor incorrectly wired when you changed the circuit board might be the problem.

Heh, heh! What did I say!