Rheem RGDD-08NEGR Gas Heat Not Igniting

Old 12-01-10, 12:37 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rheem RGDD-08NEGR Gas Heat Not Igniting

My Rheem RGDD-08NEGR furnace was working fine from last winter. But now, it is not igniting when I turn on the Ritetemp 6022 thermostat.

I use a volt meter to test the R and W wire on the furnace. There is no voltage on both wire. Is this normal?

What are some of the things that I can do to find out what's wrong? Can I manually ignite the furnace? If so, how? If you have the manual or diagram or know where I can get one, please pm me.

I also include the pictures of the furnace. Can you explain the main parts so that when reading others suggestion, I can follow the instructions?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-10, 12:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When checking the voltage you want one test lead connected to the chassis ground or "C" terminal and the other to the R or W terminal. Use the AC voltage setting.

Take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace and report what happens when you turn the thermostat up.

Old 12-01-10, 03:52 PM
M
I check both the R and W terminals while connected to the C terminal or chassis ground. There is no voltage at all. When turn up the thermostat, nothing happens. But when turn on the furnace, there is a little humming noise. What should I check next?

Here is the inside of the furnace again. It didn't show up on my original post.

Rheem RGDD-08NE-GR 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Rheem RGDD-08NE-GR 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ken

Old 12-01-10, 05:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
You lost me on that one. I don't understand "when I turn on the furnace".

Old 12-01-10, 06:36 PM
Assuming you did the measurement properly, no 24 VAC at R means there is no low voltage from the transformer.

The transformer could be burned out or there might be no 120 VAC to the furnace. The hum you mention suggests there is 120 VAC to the furnace however.

Check to be sure the circuit breaker is on, the fan compartment door is in place (depressing the door switch) and the furnace power switch is turned on.

If things still don't switch on, you need to check for 120 VAC across the transformer primary wiring.

Old 12-01-10, 08:43 PM
M
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
You lost me on that one. I don't understand "when I turn on the furnace".
I meant to say that when I turn on the thermostat.

Old 12-02-10, 11:28 PM
M
Good news... First for some reasons, the volt meter that I was using wasn't working properly. So I decided to use a wire to connect the R and W together. This cause the ignitor to light up. Then after 30 seconds, the furnace works. That means, my thermostat was broken. And I'm very surprise because I had it less than a year.

So, what are some of the most reliable thermostat that you guys recommend?

Old 12-03-10, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just to make sure it's the thermostat & not the wires, reconnect the wires to the correct terminals on the furnace then remove the thermostat & connect the ones which went to terminals R & W together. If the furnace fires, your problem is the stat. If not, it's the wiring.

For a basic non-programable thermostat, I like the White Rodgers 1F78-144. In a programable, their 80 or 90 series stats are good. I much prefer White Rodgers to Honeywell simply because I've had far less trouble with them.

Old 12-03-10, 02:33 PM
Odds are the wiring is the problem as Grady suggests. So check that out first.

Old 12-31-10, 12:00 AM
N
I am having the same problem as magic12ken

I have the same model furnace and it is blowing cold air. When I turn up the thermostat, the igniter glows brightly, then I hear a click and then the igniter dims shortly after. I dont see any form of flame or flare up during this process. The heater has been working fine until tonight (the coldest night we are having so far...30 degrees). Any Ideas?

Old 12-31-10, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like you are not getting gas thru the gas valve for one reason or another. Is the gas valve set to "on"? All valves is the gas line open? If LP, do you have fuel in the tank? Since this is the coldest night of the year so far, it's possible the gas regulator is frozen, particularly with LP gas. Any other gas appliances in the house & if so, do they work?