a Furnace Q

Old 12-01-10, 09:29 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
a Furnace Q

I have an real old rental townhouse house (70 years) and there's a huge opening in the floor ( 30 inches by 30 inches) of the living room and vent openings throughout the house. When I turn on the heat it starts blasting out the large vent but none of the others. I believe the fan is going backwards!!!

Is this possible? Can i rewire it to go the other way?

Thanks!!

Chuck

Old 12-01-10, 10:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Replacement fan motors can often be set to turn either direction. There's typically wire connections that control the speed inside the electrical junction box for the motor.

Has the motor been replaced recently?

You can inspect the fan to see if it's turning in the right direction.

Old 12-01-10, 04:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
If heat is "blasting" out, I'd venture to say someone has done it that way for a reason. If you change rotation on the fan motor you'll do more harm than good. Fans are made to turn in one direction only. By reversing the rotation of the motor, the fan will naturally turn the other way but it certainly won't move much air.

Old 12-01-10, 06:27 PM
A "huge opening in the floor" implies that a floor furnace was installed there. Is the floor furnace still there or was it replaced by a modern forced air furnace?

If the original floor furnace is still there, having a large amount of heat coming from that grill might be normal.

Old 12-01-10, 06:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer
A "huge opening in the floor" implies that a floor furnace was installed there. Is the floor furnace still there or was it replaced by a modern forced air furnace?

If the original floor furnace is still there, having a large amount of heat coming from that grill might be normal.
I've seen a few places where the new furnace supply was connected to the old floor furnace grate & a couple in which the old floor furnace sleeve was partitioned to make half supply & half return. In at least a few places I've seen holes cut in the floor with grilles over them & the side of the furnace cut out but no return ductwork. Some real winners out there.

Old 12-01-10, 07:36 PM
Yep. Old floor furnace holes have lots of uses!

Old 12-05-10, 03:17 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input and I'm sorry it tokk so long to get back to you.

Apparently the heater is working properly as it was installed that way.

My heater guy said since the house is empty and it is easy to work on it he can get the situation rectified easilly at minimal cost.

As far as the blasting goes it's a 100, 000 btu unit in a 900 square foot house and he will install a much smaller one as the old one is on it's last legs from other minor problems and with the smaller one the potential air flow will problems won't exist.

Thanks again!!!

Chuck

Old 12-05-10, 03:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That much heater in that small of a house unless you keep the windows open is way too much even if you live in western MD. Thanks for getting back to us & hope all works out well for you with the new furnace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: