York LX TM9V vs Amana AHM95

Old 12-01-10, 05:44 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question York LX TM9V vs Amana AHM95

Hi everyone, newbie here (to the forum & been a handyman).

I have two offers on furnace replacement. a York LX TM9V, or a Amana AHM95. while the York is a bit more expensive than the Amana, the person doing the quote saying at long run, York one will save me enough $$ in about 4-5 yrs because it's variable-speed fan motor (ECM).

oh the York is 96% AFUE, and Amana is 95% (i don't think that really make much different for me with 1% between them).

so what are the pro & con of both?

any feedbacks from experts will be greatly appreciated.

V
-jd

Old 12-01-10, 06:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
The ECM is a nice feature since you can run the fan on a very low speed for constant air circulation which helps with temperature uniformity thruout the house. This is especially noticeable in multi-level homes. Other than that I don't know enough about either furnace to give an opinion.

I will tell you that a quality installation is more important than the equipment. Nobody makes junk but a lot of installers can turn a really nice furnace into a miserable piece of crap with a poor install.

Old 12-02-10, 08:38 AM
W
Thumbs up good point!

You are right, workmanship is equally important (if not more) than the equipment.

I got another offer now. so they are like these.

1. Lennux G61MP 36B-071. 95% AFUE
2. Amana AMH95. 95% AFUE
3. York LX TM9V (variable-speed motor/ECM motor). 96% AFUE.

my house is 1400 sf ranch style, in southeast Michigan.

Old 12-02-10, 08:56 AM
W
another thing is, how long/old are these models been out? does anyone got a figure (or place to look them up)? I can traced them to 2005-2006 for most models but not official date.

Old 12-02-10, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
I don't know any history on these furnaces.
One thing which may help you decide on which furnace to buy is to find out if any qualify for the energy tax credit. I'm pretty sure the York will qualify. Not sure about the others, maybe.

Old 12-02-10, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
We use Goodman out here in NJ. Amana bought them and you can get cheaper. All internals are the same. I like them and the warranty I think is the best in the industry. Tell the installer you want to see pictures of thier installs. If they dont have any dont use them. We use to pride ourselfs on our installs and had books to look through, web site ect.... We were proud of real life installs. If the installers are not taking pics then they are not happy with their work.

See the units we use below but thats just me, we all have our favorite. Just a note there are only about 4 of 5 HVAC manufactures out there. All others just put thier name on it. I think its Lennox, Carrier, Trane and two others. So really its the install.

Air Conditioners, (A/C), Packaged Heat Pumps and Central Air Conditioning (AC) Units for Home Healing and Cooling Systems. Residential and Commercial Heating and Cooling Equipment by Goodman Manufacturing available in 14 SEER and 13 SEER ratings for

Hey what about your A/C and line set. Are they throwing in the A/c? I hope they are not putting back the same condenser, and freon has changed so the lineset should be replaced. Dont let them try to wash it out. The new frons dont mix. With everything you should be looking at $5000 - $6000 max. If higher they are gouging. Check the BBB also for complaints.

Mike NJ

Air Conditioners, (A/C), Packaged Heat Pumps and Central Air Conditioning (AC) Units for Home Healing and Cooling Systems. Residential and Commercial Heating and Cooling Equipment by Goodman Manufacturing available in 14 SEER and 13 SEER ratings for

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: